(SOLVED) No lists, forms etc. in backend after Joomla 3 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

widen76

Hi there!
Any help with this situation is most welcome. I have done extensive searches all over the net, including this forum, but haven't yet found a solution.

Goal:
To have Fabrik working after Joomla upgrade from 2.5.24 to Joomla 3.3

Background:
I have a working Fabrik 3.2 install on J2.5.24. There are lists, forms, groups and several elements, all fully working in the front-end and visible in the back-end.

What I did #1: (All the steps below are done on a local MAMP install, with a local backup from a running internet website)
  • Prior to upgrading to Joomla 3.3, I uninstalled all 3rd party plugins, components and modules, including Fabrik 3.2 (Otherwise I got the white screen .initialise error leaving Fabrik 3.2 in place).
  • I cleared cache, purged cache and disabled the cache plugin.
  • I successfully upgraded Joomla to v3.3 through the built-in Joomla update function.
  • Installed Fabrik 3.2, success.
  • In the Fabrik admin area, clicked "Lists", empty, no lists. Same for all the other sections (forms, groups and so on).
  • The connection to the site database is working. Using "Test connection" confirms this.
  • Updated from Github, using instructions from the wiki.
  • Refreshed cache in Extension Manager > Manage > select all Fabrik > Refresh cache. New Fabrik version number is 3.1.1.
  • The lists, forms etc sections are still empty.
  • The front-end says error 500, incorrect list id (obvious since there are no lists).
What I did #2: (Thinking there was compatibility problems with Joomla 3.3)
  • Started all over again, restored the original J2.5.24 site from an Akeeba kickstart backup. Did all the steps above prior to upgrading.
  • This time I upgraded to Joomla 3.2.4 an reinstalled Fabrik 3.2.
  • Still no change, no lists, forms etc. Connection to site database OK.
  • Tried the Github update, still no go.
The Fabrik database tables are present in the site database (checked using PHP Myadmin).

Questions:
Is it reasonable to assume that the upgrade caused the lists ID-numbers to change so that Fabrik doesn't see them? If so, how do I re-connect the lists/tables? Are there any other possible solutions to this problem?

Best Regards,
Marcus W

uninstalled all 3rd party plugins, components and modules, including Fabrik 3.2
In the Fabrik admin area, clicked "Lists", empty, no lists. Same for all the other sections (forms, groups and so on).
After an uninstall all Fabrik lists etc. (all meta data tables #_fabrk_xxx) are deleted (you still have your user data tables but no Fabrik lists,forms,elements...), so this is the expected behaviour.
Never uninstall Fabrik or you will loose all your Fabrik work.

White screen:
set Joomla error repoorting to maximum to get an error message.
What is your php version, your php memory limit?

In Joomla2.5.24 you may disable/unpublish the Fabrik system plugin before updating. After update clear all Joomla and browser cache.
Then I would try to re-install Fabrik3.2 (don't uninstall before) and enable the Fabrik system plugin (if this isn't done automatically during installation).

Thank you for the reply. I wasn't aware that uninstalling Fabrik removed lists etc, but having done that, it makes sense.

I've had bouts with the white screen problem before, so I almost made it a habit to uninstall everything before upgrading Joomla. PHP version is 5.5.10 and mem.limit is 128M. I will see if the max error reporting is useful.

I will try your suggestions, they are most welcome!

Regards,
/Marcus

Troester, I have now tried your suggestions and it worked. I uninstalled all 3rd party components, plugins and modules, except Fabrik. I disabled every part of Fabrik and then upgraded Joomla to v3.3 without problems. All lists, forms etc ar in place. Great!

However, the front-end have some problems, not displaying the contents correctly. There is an error:
Catchable fatal error: Object of class stdClass could not be converted to string in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/components/com_fabrik/views/list/tmpl/default/default_buttons.php on line 49

Edit: Problem above is solved. Solution: I edited the problematic list > tab "layout" > set the "Front-end template" to "-Use default-". Success!

Any idea about this or should I start a new thread? Can't find anything related to this particular problem.

Thanks!

There shouldn't be a tmpl/default in Fabrik3.2.

The default template was Fabrik3.0, since 3.1 there's only bootstrap and bootstrap_tabs.

In J!3+/Fabrik3.1+ you must use a bootstrap Joomla template (like Protostar) and the Fabrik bootstrap list/form/details templates.

The old J!2.5/Fabrik3.0 templates which could be accessed in xx/tmpl25 with J!2.5/Fabrik3.1 can't be used in J!3+/Fabrik3.2.

Thanks Troester, that explains it. I'm using Rocketheme Afterburner 2 as site template, somehow Fabrik left in the "default". That changed to "bootstrap" after I chose "- Use default -" in the layout tab.
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

/Marcus

You can close solved threads by unchecking "open" in Thread Tools.

And yes, a new installation (or GitHub update) won't delete any old spare files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back