Mini Document Management System

jo-ka

Hello.

I wonder if i can use Fabrik to accomplish a project i need. In small description, the project is a mini DMS (Document Management System) in this way.

Backend:
- Create users (Joomla will handle it)
- Upload documents into 3 different folders ( Type 1, Type 2, Type 3)
- Tag (assign) document to category ( Type 1, Type 2, Type 3)
- Set document available in user personal area, user by user, so user can see it in frontend.
- Send an email with a link to the file, to the user every time a document is assigned to a user and every time that document is modified.

Frontend:
- User logs in and have a message saying he have a new file available with a link
- User have access to a document area where he can see the 3 categories and the files available to him
- User see a list of new available files (by default)
- The file(s) is listed with some info and a link to download. When the download link is clicked, the file changes it status and an email is sent to an email account saying that user X have downloaded the file Y.

It's something like this? Will i be able to to this? My major problem is that i don't know how the best way to manage this notifications and file uploads.

BR

I think it's do-able, although we'd have to add a bit more code to the file upload element to enable you to achieve everything you need to do. As such, this would probably be a project you would want to upgrade to a Pro sub to get done, with extra help from us.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by:

Set document available in user personal area, user by user, so user can see it in frontend

What is the workflow you are thinking of for that? I'd imaging you would need a documents list, a users list, and a many-to-many users_documents list, which acts as the join between users and documents. So to assign a document to a user, you would edit the user form, and add a users_documents repeat for the document(s).

When you say "when that document is modified", do you mean when the form with that document upload element in it is edited? We can't actually tell when the document itself is edited.

For sending emails and setting a status when a file is downloaded, we'd have to add an extra option to the upload element, to allow execution of custom code when a file is downloaded.

-- hugh

I think it's do-able, although we'd have to add a bit more code to the file upload element to enable you to achieve everything you need to do. As such, this would probably be a project you would want to upgrade to a Pro sub to get done, with extra help from us.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by:

What is the workflow you are thinking of for that? I'd imaging you would need a documents list, a users list, and a many-to-many users_documents list, which acts as the join between users and documents. So to assign a document to a user, you would edit the user form, and add a users_documents repeat for the document(s).

When you say "when that document is modified", do you mean when the form with that document upload element in it is edited? We can't actually tell when the document itself is edited.

For sending emails and setting a status when a file is downloaded, we'd have to add an extra option to the upload element, to allow execution of custom code when a file is downloaded.

-- hugh

Thank you for your reply.

About the subscription upgrade, i'm sorry but we cannot afford to spend more money. I know this can be a limitation, but we don't have it.

About the workflow, i think you're right. This is, we upload one document and after it we can edit the user and after have a list of documents where you set access to it or not.

When i say the document is modified, i mean if we upload a new file with a new version or just changed document. When this file is substituted/modified, then the user's that have access to that document receive an email notification about it, not really "online" editing, but uploaded. The versioning can or not be a feature.

That's the purpose. What do you think?

BR

Then yes, the standard email form plugin should do what you need.

So the only stumbling block is going to be getting any kind of notification or setting a status when a user downloads something. The code to do that simply doesn't exist, and would have to be added as an option to the upload element. Which we can't afford to do on a standard sub, as it would be several hours work to implement and properly test.

-- hugh

Huummm... I understand.

What about adding a javascrip code to the link? This is, on click than change the status on the db and send an email?

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back