Geotagging and googlemap element

amir.hajdar

Hello, I am having trouble to use exif to get data for googlemap element from a pic that has geotagging data embedded.

I am uploading the pic using plugin fileupload. When I'm uploading I don't have options for uploading but only when I click Save, the pic uploads (see attachment fab3).
Also, when I click Geocode nothing happens and settings for googlemap stay the same. I tried changing settings for Geocoding and tried with Enable Geoceode - Yes and Use elements but it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong, and what settings should I set? You can view setting for plugins exif and googlemap in attached pics fab4 and fab5.

Attachments

• fab5.png
    fab5.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 401
  • fab4.png
    fab4.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 398
  • fab3.png
    fab3.png
    326.5 KB · Views: 377
I've answered in the issue but better is posting here in the forum (issues are for issues;)).

If you can upload an example image I could test it on my test site.

Yes, that's correct! :) Now I just wish I can get the same result...so I'll try updating the code (again) today and see if it finally works. Thanks...

Hello, I have tried again and it is not working...the only thing that comes to my mind is that I have some googlemap configuration wrong. Can you show the screen(s) of yours, or perhaps I send you my connection parameters, and you see where is the problem?

The problem may be in your expectations. In your first couple of posts, you seem to be expecting the EXIF processing to happen "live" on the page, as an image is selected for upload? If so, that's not what happens. As troester explained up there ^^ somewhere, the EXIF data is extracted when the form is submitted (which is when the file is uploaded to the server, and the plugin can actually process it), and the location written to the map element at that point. So you won't see any effect until after you have submitted and uploaded the form.

I've tested the fixed version from github, and it works OK for me, but I'll test again ...

-- hugh

I've tested on your site (setting your elements like mine) but no luck.
So stepping through the code (using your FTP;)) I found
$exif = exif_read_data($filename, 'EXIF'); (exif.php line 95)
is returning false on your server (identical images are working on my server).

exif is included in your php
difference to my server: you are running php5.3.28 (it's >5.3.10 but recommended is 5.4)

No idea if something is wrong with the filename (vardump shows "/home/cloudwar/public_html/gg4//images/stories/DSC_85709.jpg" ) (setting fileupload dir to images/stories/ instead of /images/stories/ , with/without subdir or crop doesn't matter)
or with your php version.

So in any case it's NOT a googlemap setting.

Thank you very much for your time and checking the site...I will try locally on php 5.4, and ask my host provider to upgrade (hopefully they will!). cheesegrits: if you find something on your site for php 5.3.x, please post the results.

I tried on php 5.4 and it does work, so it looks like it's the php version problem. Perhaps, you may want to change the documentation.
Thanks for all your help!!

I can't really change any documentation, as there is no clear indication on what versions of PHP and with what cameras exif_read_data() works and doesn't work. It's one of those functions which is very dependent on what device from what manufacturer the images are coming from, as EXIF is not a very well defined "standard", and different vendors tend to use different formats, some of which work in some earlier versions of PHP and some don't.

For instance, in testing over the last few days, I've found that in PHP 5.4.x, EXIF data always works from my Nikon P600 camera (but has no geotagging), mostly works from my HTC One (M7), always works from my wife's HTC One (M8), mostly works from my Canon SX150 (but sometimes won't read it all). In PHP 5.3.x, the results are entirely different, the M7 won't work at all, the M8 mostly works, the SX150 works, the P600 (my most "modern" and best camera) doesn't.

All we can really say is that it *should* work in >= 5.3.10, but may not depending on device, and that you will have better luck with >= 5.4.x.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back