dropdown values saved from specific elements now showing on edit and view form

jag1973

Hi

I came across a rather strange problem!
I fill a huge form of about 300 elements. About 30 of those are dropdown elements.
While most of them are working fine, a few of them are having the following behaviour.
A value is selected on the dropdown element and the form is saved for an entry and although the value selected saved in the database and also the value is apperaring when the list is exported, the same value is not showing when you select the specific entry for editing or viewing either at the frontend or the backend.

When i tried to see what is happening using firebug a strange class FabrikDataEmpty shows at the elements which appear having the specific problem.
A screenshot is attached.

Attachments

• fabrik_error.png
    fabrik_error.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 193
The database is storing the value, the form/details is showing the label - which is &sbsp; in your example (so it's empty and Fabrik is adding the fabrikEmpty class, which shouldn't do anything as long as you don't define it).

So the question is: is it showing a wrong label?
Is it the same form where you first select a value/label (I assume here it's showing a label) and then edit or view?
Is the value of your dbjoin element set to a unique column (id[recomended])?

Yes it is showing the wrong label. The value that is storing in the database has a different label. I check with different choices.
There is no empty label for the different choices in those elements.
There is a default choice with label "Please select..." and value NULL, and 3 other choices with the same value/label.
It is the same form (if i understand your question)
There is no dbjoin elements in the form. The form is reffered to a single db table.

Is your Joomla error reporting set to max?
There are MySQL restrictions of max. bytes which can be handled (and I can remember issues with this limit with much less than 300 elements).

It seems character & in labels creates all problems. I replaced it with the word "and" and the specific dropdown element works fine. Is there any such limitation? Are there any other character that cause problems in label or in value fields?

Yes, I can replicate.
But only if the VALUE contains &, no problem to use it in the label.

I tested some other "usual suspects" (/="...) but it seems only & so far.

Anyway it's better to use safe strings without special characters for values/keys.

Hmmm, I could have sworn we fixed this a while back.

troester - it is being converted to & in the database? Or being written out as just &, and converted to & somewhere between reading and rendering?

-- hugh

https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik/issues/1401

It's always hard to detect if the browser is displaying & as & (is there any trick/tool?)
I think I've seen &amp; in the form's <select
It's rendering the label in list view, so I assume the DB value is correct (or at least the same as in the dropdown's parameters).

I just use dev tools, and either inspect the DOM itself (for anything loaded with the page), or look at the network response for anything coming in from an AJAX call.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back