Can Fabrik do this?

diamond.heart

Hi folks, I'm looking to migrate an old web application that I built years ago in Coldfusion. Since then, I've done a lot with Joomla, and if I can figure out how to make in work in Joomla, that would be my first choice. My PHP coding skills are pretty rudimentary, so using something like Fabrik would help a lot.

The app is essentially a drill down into a database using a fairly sophisticated form. Results are displayed in list of links to each record. (See screen grabs at the bottom of this post)

It looks like it's possible, but I wondered if anyone has done complicated queries/results sets along those lines using Fabrik?

I'm also wondering if it's possible for a user to save their search results - either as some kind of a view, or (preferably) as a reusable filter set? That may have to be some kind of custom coding addition, but again, if I can construct the bulk of it using something like Fabrik, I'm ahead of the game.

TIA,
diamondheart

searchform.JPG

results.JPG

record.JPG

I don't see anything in here that is complicated at all - pretty standard use of Fabrik and the default Detail view template for record display will come pretty close to matching your layout. The search criteria page is the most complex part, but I am seeing these as a page of alternative search methods each consisting of fairly simple search setups. I expect that your final project will be significantly enhanced by the power of Fabrik - users can access and filter the data in more ways than you have thought about so far. And, there is a way to save search criteria by setting up a user profile and writing each search to it before displaying the results so that the latest search can be reloaded in a new session. A menu item like "Reload last search" could open a List view with the same criteria loaded. This would take a bit of work to setup but it is certainly feasible.

You can be setting up so each organization can manage and update their own data or all records are staff-entered and managed. Each is practical. That some fields are saved and loaded as clickable links is not an issue - use the link plugin.

Is there a child table for trustees or is this just a link to an associated Article that has whatever they want to type? It might be hard to come up with a standardized table for "people" that will fit the needs of all organizations yet still display nicely. It can be built - I just question the utility of being structured instead of free-form. Would anyone be expecting to search by trustee name and get useful results?

No red flags I can see.

I see a few issues ...

First is the "migrating" part. You may need to massage any existing data into a format that Fabrik can use. For instance, you have checkboxes ... we store checkbox values as JSON strings representing an array of the selected values, like ["1","3","7"].

Second, I see a "Save this search" option, which is not something we currently provide as a built in feature, although it should be possible to do work something up by creating a search form.

And in general, the Fabrik UI would look different, unless you put a lot of effort into custom templating.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Staff online

Members online

Back