Element filters and Querystrings

I'm dealing with some huge tables that make database joins slow the site beyond usability.

One way I'm trying to get around that is to use one smaller table as an search entry to the huge table.

Here's my problem:

I use a querystring to filter out a manageable number of records in the huge table. It will then be necessary to do some additional filtering. I have a couple of element filters (dropdowns) on the huge table. When the querystring takes me to the huge table, however, all the possibilities are showing up in the dropdowns, not just the possibilities that exist in the filtered (by the querystring) list.

Obviously, this is because the element filters are being populated before the querystring filter is applied. If the huge table had a pre-filter, that would be applied before the element filter dropdowns were populated.

Is there any way to structure the querystring or any other way to get these element filters to display only the options available in the filtered (by the querystring) huge table?

Hmmm. You could probably do it with prefilters. I don't have the code to hand, I'm on my phone, but I'm pretty sure we do query string placeholders in the prefilter value. So {foo} will get replaced with the value of a foo=x query string are. So you could apply those query string filters as prefilters.

If the automatic placeholder replacement doesn't work, you could eval the prefilter value ad php, and fetch the query string values that way.

Hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back