Element Placeholders

Amuleta

I have a form with a text area element, in a repeat group, with a placeholder that displays the records from another element (showing records that are already saved).
Clearly text areas cannot be read only, but I want the info displayed in it to be visible to users, but not editable.
So, I have tried using the element as a read only field but, no matter which format I use, the field size isn't big enough to accommodate all the placeholder values.
This is not urgent, but do you have any ideas on how I could get around this?
Thanks

A calc would probably do it. So you'd do ...

Code:
return "<p>This is field one {yourtable___field_one}</p><p>this is field two {yourtable___field_two}</p>";

BTW, when I suggested "read only" in that other thread, I meant by setting the access controls to achieve that.

-- hugh

A calc would probably do it. So you'd do ...

Code:
return "<p>This is field one {yourtable___field_one}</p><p>this is field two {yourtable___field_two}</p>";

BTW, when I suggested "read only" in that other thread, I meant by setting the access controls to achieve that.

-- hugh
Yes I've used calc as another element doing more or less that, but the placeholder I am using in the text area shows some element values from all saved groups in the form. The calc only shows values for the one repeat group.
The placeholder works well in a read only "field" element, but the input size of the field area is the problem.

Well, using placeholders will get you the current repeat, but you can access the form data array directly and get whatever you want.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

you can access the form data array directly and get whatever you want.
Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
hmmm... that means nothing to me o_O sorry...
Basically the text area placeholder displays the values of 2 elements in the repeat groups that have already been saved in the form.
It is just to inform the user of whom (e.g. which student) they have already saved records for. That's why I would like it to be visible to users entering data, non-editable/read only and with an "input" large enough to display the data. But I can't get all 3 requirements to work together. Like I say it's not urgent, I just wanted to know if and how I could alter the size of the field input box.

Last edited:
The field input box is only ever going to be one line. You can extend the length in the element settings.

So did you try setting ACL's on a text area?

-- hugh

The field input box is only ever going to be one line. You can extend the length in the element settings.

So did you try setting ACL's on a text area?

-- hugh
Yes. But as far as I can see, as it's used in a repeat group in the form, it's in "edit" mode (users don't "add" new rows), so allowing users to view the editable version means they can also edit it, which I don't want. Maybe it's possible to make a text area read only? :D

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back