Absolute Total Newbie Seeking Help - Website Design

MalNealon

Hello all and thanks for reading.

Firstly let me say that I am new both to Joomla and Fabrik.

However, having recently installed both as well as Kunena forum on my development site, I have some questions with regard to getting Fabrik up and running.

I am designing website along the lines of

driveeatsleep [dot] nl

and

beds4bikers [dot] com

1) where I would add the locations in the back-end of the site, which would present the information something along the lines of driveeatsleep [dot] nl/hotels/motorcamping-t-witveen/

2) which will allow registered members to post descriptions and accounts of their stays in motorcyclist related hotels/campings etc.,

3) Have a rating system allowing registered users to grade the locations.

4) Have a user forum for general discussion, but also have a topic thread for each location (if possible created automatically when a new location is added)

5) Offer a newsletter which would announce when a new location is added

6) perhaps offer advertising for location/motorcyclist related goods/offers

As well as much more.

Initially I would just like to have a simple website with a searchable list in order to determine whether I have the time an energy to continue or simply spend more time riding my motorcycle.

I see that Fabrik has a tutorial on creating a search form for searching within a Fabrik list. Would the best option be to allow the search of a simple list, or should I only have a single large list containing all information?

My question is really one of which method is best? I would like to offer such a web site but with several search options. I want to use a CDD to allow the user to search by country and County/Province and type, but would also like him, for example, to be able to search by name, or just type of residence. Should I create a single list of locations containing all the information regarding a location and search this, or is it better to have several lists for searching, each pointing into a master list?

When adding a new location, it would obviously be simpler to simply add to a single list, but wouldn't this create a large unworkable list?

What is the usual method of working?

Thanks

You can use your master list with advanced search turned on for a quick "one size fits all" option. Or you can create separate individual menu items (using the Fabrik list menu plugin) where the lists are pre-filtered (and include only certain columns) to your specifications.

Great, thanks.

I am assuming that I can grab parts of the master list to populate an article, still have to read up on that.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back