Add multiple records from 1 Add Form

That doesn't appear on my Element Details tab - see my screenshot - any ideas why?

Thanks I will try what you suggest. I assume that in the new Group "Catch Returns Repeatable" I add all of the Elements that you have highlighted in red?

Attachments

• screen3.PNG
    screen3.PNG
    250.8 KB · Views: 30
Yes I did read your post I am just asking for confirmation - so are you saying that yes I do need to add all of these Elements?

Not sure what you are saying about the Group option not showing on my screen. It doesn't appear for any Element on any Form for me?

Yes I did read your post I am just asking for confirmation - so are you saying that yes I do need to add all of these Elements?
I said, "edit all these elements and set their group to the new one". That's true for all the elements you want to have repeated, and I reckon it's the ones I marked... but you have the final word on that, of course. Maybe start with only one or two, then see how it's working in the form.

Not sure what you are saying about the Group option not showing on my screen. It doesn't appear for any Element on any Form for me?
I said."I do see it" -- in your screenshot. And, again, I attached/inserted an annotated version of your screenshot, so you have proof.
I have no idea why you do not see something that I do see because it is clearly in your screenshot.

Anyway, here you have it once again. CLICK THUMBNAIL HERE BELOW:
group.jpg

Sorry, but all you need to do is read the replies here, look at attached or inserted images, and follow the step-by-step instructions.
Obviously, it is frustrating and very tedious if you don't do so and one is asked/forced to repeat much if not everything, eventually even multiple times.........

Sorry I did not see it, but on a previous screenshot you sent the Group appeared on the right hand side of the screen and that was where I was looking for it. I apologise for missing it.

I do really appreciate your help as there is no way I could have accomplished this without it.

Some of the methods needed for meeting requirements are just not obvious at all, and whilst the documentation provides good information on individual fields and screens, it does not provide processes for accomplishing some of the more obscure requirements.

The Wiki is not always perfect, but as powerful as Fabrik is (and as "empty" out of the box), it will never cover each and every possible use case, anyway.
However, the Wiki is much more than just a good start. Add common sense, checking and reading tooltips, patiently searching Wiki and forum with good terms, complete and careful reading of any posts, plus some trial & success/error, and in most cases you should be good. Perhaps worth a try next time, haha ;)

OK I have gone through the process that you outlined in point 4 from an earlier post and as you can see from the screen enclosed I now get the ability to enter Additional Catch Returns.

However I have 2 issues:

1. The Additional Catch Returns do not update the db, but the first return still does.
2. Total Taken is a calculated field which again works on the first return but not on the Additional Catch Returns.

What information would you require to help me to track down the problem?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• screen5.PNG
    screen5.PNG
    221.1 KB · Views: 32
1. The Additional Catch Returns do not update the db, but the first return still does.
How do you know they "do not update the db"?
If you're looking at the original table in e.g. phpMyAdmin: yes, there you won't see values for elements within the repeatable group anymore, because the now multiple values are stored in something like "aa_catch_returns_repeat_...". So please check for those tables when looking at the DB directly.
And, what does the Fabrik list look like with new rows including repeated values entered? It should all be there, yes?

OK I have resolved this issue & My Catch Returns are now showing the Repeat Returns.

The next issue I have is as follows. My Catch Returns shows just the catches for that User. I also have a Catch Returns List (see enclosed screenA) which when accessed by the Administrator shows all of the Catch Returns for all Users. The Repeat Returns are not showing in here. So I assume that I should add the new group Repeat Returns to the Form for Catch Returns. However when I go to that screen in Catch Returns (see enclosed screenB) Repeat Returns does not show as available. Can you please point me in the right direction to get it to show as whatever I do it does not appear here?

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• screenA.PNG
    screenA.PNG
    285.3 KB · Views: 25
  • screenB.PNG
    screenB.PNG
    237.4 KB · Views: 22
I also have a Catch Returns List (see enclosed screenA) which when accessed by the Administrator shows all of the Catch Returns for all Users. The Repeat Returns are not showing in here.
I suspect the list for (all) Catch Returns has existed before your changes to My Catch Returns and, simply put, those changes have not affected it.
Creating a fresh copy of the My Catch Returns list and using this for the purpose should allow you to do what you want.

OK yes Catch Returns was created earlier. Can I create a fresh copy by just using Save as Copy - will that do the job?

Right I have done this but it doesn't appear to have sorted it. When I check phpMy Admin for Catch Returns there exists the first Catch Return, there is a Repeat Return in there but it just shows as Null, so when I go to View Data in Catch Returns List the first Catch Return shows but the Repeat Return doesn't.

Any further ideas much appreciated.

Not sure I understand what you're describing, and I can't see what you see in either phpMyAdmin, View data or elsewhere.
- As for phpMyAdmin, please see the hint in my previous posts here above.
- If you had any rows in the list from before your changes related to the new repeatable group: now that the DB and list/form structures are different, it could help to edit and (re-)save them.
- In your My Catch Returns list you may use pre-filters, ACL (also for elements), and other settings for its specific purpose -- all of which is usually the same in the list copy and it's (child) elements. However, since the list copy has a different purpose, you'll want to alter various configurations, obviously.
- If Fabrik's "list copy" doesn't work for you and the use case, of course you can instead try creating a new Fabrik list based on the same existing DB table(s), eventually add joins etc, so you get what you want.

OK I am getting there slowly.

I noticed that My Catch Returns had a Join to the Repeat Returns so put the same Join in Catch Returns (see screenC enclosed) and the result is in screenD enclosed which now shows the Repeat Return in the Catch Returns List.

However there are still the following issues with this:

1. Fish Type2 (the Repeat Return Fish Type) shows as blank as it is only set as a Field but if I try a Database Join to try and pick up the Name I just get a 500 error. Also it is out of sequence on the List - it should be positioned after Date. I have tried dragging it in the Element list to the correct position but it just doesn't move. Is there another way to sort Elements in the List?

2. The id and parent id of the Repeat Return again just show as numbers not the value and again if I try a Database Join to pick these up I just get a 500 error.

Attachments

• screenC.PNG
    screenC.PNG
    252.9 KB · Views: 31
  • screenD.PNG
    screenD.PNG
    240.4 KB · Views: 28
Seems you went a new route: created a new DB table (aa_catch_returns_1), seemingly with Fabrik elements (= DB columns) identical to aa_catch_returns (no "_1"), except plus parent_id and minus userid? Then joined them, made it repeatable, and now having what can be seen in screenD.

I don't know the details but, yeah, that's great and the way it should have been done in the first place when you started it all. If so, then you can (should?) now get rid of those fishy element "duplicates" in aa_catch_returns (no "_1") to make it work and look better...
Bonus hint for good looks: edit the list and, in the Data tab below the join, try setting "Display mode" to "Merge rows". Might be even better if repeated data has been entered.

1.a. If the element "Fish Type" is a "field", then a user can enter anything via keyboard or, if not required, leave it empty. Obviously, that's fundamentally different from other element types incl dbjoins.

1.b. You can only drag elements to change their order after clicking the double-arrow in the table header next to "ID". Then grab a vertical ellipsis in the column below to drag and drop.
Alternatively, edit an element and select a different position for it under "Order" (find it below the infamous "Group" selector).

2. Absolutely yes, that's normal. They're just integers used for numbering of rows ("id", must be element type "internalid" a.k.a. Primary Key) and relationship in between tables and rows ("parent_id", must be element type "field" a.k.a. Foreign Key). Do not mess with the element types! So, do not make them dbjoins or so, but only as described here! And set them to "hidden" and disable them from being displayed in the list... no user or admin needs them anyway.

Case closed!

Last edited:
Thanks again - but sorry case not closed just yet!

In screenE everything looks just about perfect as it should be. This is the individual user view.

However in screenF (the Administrator view) Fish Type2 is missing. I am sure that this is because in the element list for the Administrator Repeat Catch Returns this field is missing (screenG). So I don't understand why, when this was created, that this field did not appear. If I try and add it I just get an error message saying that the field name is reserved and cannot be added again. When I check phpAdmin for this table the field appears correctly. Any ideas?

Also setting "Display mode" to "Merge rows" did not make any difference to the display.

Attachments

• screenE.PNG
    screenE.PNG
    617.9 KB · Views: 28
  • screenF.PNG
    screenF.PNG
    240 KB · Views: 29
  • screenG.PNG
    screenG.PNG
    283.4 KB · Views: 28
First, with your screen size and resolution, when you do screenshots, why not first zoom out (browser menu -> view)?

screenE: "Perfect"?? If you say so... but I can't believe it... it could be so much better, and IMHO that can't be what you wanted...

screenF, Fish Type 2: Don't know, can only see that it's not in the list of elements (screenG).

No offence, but I'd call this "chaotic... not the way it could/should be".
So, I went and built this here myself, basically as I had described. See here attached the form (ID, entry date and user element hidden, and the group of "catch-relevant" elements repeatable, "total" calc with ajax), and the list with 3 different entries, one each with 1, 2 and 3 catches. Ok, there's no date for each catch, but that's quickly added, haha.

Much time spent on your case, and that's as far as I can go here... trust you understand. You got all the basic infos you need, everything else beyond this would not be "Fabrik support" anymore, but custom app consultation/contracting work.

Attachments

• better_form.jpg
    better_form.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 25
  • better_list.jpg
    better_list.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 23
Well yes but I have not done anything with Fabrik for about 6 years & this is the most complicated thing that I have tried to do with it, and as you can tell I am having real problems understanding it.

I would like my Catch Returns Form to look like yours but whatever I try and do it just won't change the layout, and as for Fish Type2 not displaying I am at a complete loss. At times Fabrik appears to have a mind of its own - I'm sure you don't agree with that but then again you obviously have bags of experience with it.

So how much would you charge for sorting this out as custom app consultation/contracting work? I can then go back to my customer and see if they will agree to this charge. I have already spent far too much time on this & just can't take it any further.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Staff online

Members online

Back