Adding a new element to a database join group

bobede

I've been trying to find an answer to this but I suspect I'm not using the right keywords. My apologies if it has already been answered.

I have a registration form for signing up for courses. It gathers general information and then has a joined group of elements which is repeatable so the individual can add multiple courses to their registration. I've been asked to add a display element to provide instructions indicating that to add additional courses you need to click on the "+" button. I need this instruction to appear at the start of each repeated group as new ones are added by the end user. As the form was already in use, I just want to add a new element. If I add the element to the parent lists elements it doesn't show up in the joined form. Is there a way to add the newly created element on the parent list as a child element in the joined group in my form? Am I missing a step?

I'm probably still not explaining this correctly, which is why I can't find an answer in the forums.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Yes. That does work, and is what I would normally recommend. In this situation, the client has requested that the instruction be placed at the beginning of "EVERY" group of repeated elements. The group intro field will only place the instruction once regardless of how many times the group is repeated. That is why I thought of using a display element to add the instruction.

I think at this stage, the reason behind it is really secondary, and I'm just wondering now how to add elements to a parent list and have them show up in the joined list. Would deleting the join and then recreating it work? If that will work, will that have any effect on previously stored data? I'm erring on the side of caution here as it is a live site.

Thanks

1. To show instructions before every row, use the Intro box on the Group / Repeat tab instead.

2. Just add elements to the List - unless you want to use them in the ON clause of the SQL JOIN phrase, that is all you need to do.

If you want them to appear only for you whilst you are developing the functionality, set the element Access Levels to SuperUser until you are read for them to appear to users.

1. Thanks. I didn't even realize that was there.

2. I must be doing something wrong. I added a display element to the joined list but it doesn't appear in the form where the other joined lists elements are displayed. I have tried clearing my browser cache in case that was causing an issue but it didn't make any difference.

1. Make sure that you allocated the new element to the correct group when you created it.

2. Make sure that your elements are in the correct order.

3. Make sure that the Access Levels allow it to appear.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Staff online

Members online

Back