Caching problems

dimoss

Hi,

I have enabled the cache in global configuration system settings putting ON - Conservative with 1 min.
This works fine in J! articles. However in Fabrik I have problem in all the lists in which I have calculations such as Sum/Count in elements.
I have also enabled the system cache plugin
For example I search using filter and I get the same result in calculations for different searches which means the page returned from the cache and it doesn't re-ca;culate. Sometimes I get 0 as a sum/count result which is also wrong.

I tried to disable the system cache plugin but the problem persists.

The calculations work only if I put the cache into OFF.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dimos

That's just one of those issue we have absolutely no control over. J! caching was never designed to take "active" content into account. So we never even get consulted by J!'s caching to see if we need a given cached result to be invalidated.

Have you tried turning caching off in Fabrik on a per-list basis, in the advanced settings? That will cure some cache issues.

-- hugh

Hi Hugh

Yes I tried to turn off the cache in the advanced settings. It worked but it was useless because I had no gain from the cache.
So the problem remains but unfortunately as you said there is no control over it. Maybe the J! guys have to think the active content.
Thanks!

Yes I tried to turn off the cache in the advanced settings. It worked but it was useless because I had no gain from the cache.

So just to be clear, if you turn of Fabrik's list query caching, under the List advanced settings, then your caching issues go away?

Can you expand a little on what then becomes useless?

I'm actually surprised this worked, as typically the only situations turning of List caching is useful in is if anything is happening to change the potential results of a given query which is outside of Fabrik's control. For instance, if you have queries, calculations, etc. which involve tables (or any other data source) that get updated outside of Fabrik.

Anything that updates data (or queries) that happens "within" Fabrik, like submitting a form, or changing your List settings on the backend, will flush the cache, forcing a new query.

-- hugh

Hi Hugh

Yes, if I turn off the Fabrik's list query caching, under the List advanced settings, then my caching issues go away.
When I say 'useless' I mean that for this specific list I don't gain anything from caching because it seems that forcing a new query (ex. searching through filters) doesn's work and I get the same calculation totals.

calculation totals are stored in the session, I think so maybe check the menu items 'reload calculations' option?

Hi Rob

I enabled the option you suggested but the calculation totals remained the same.

I have also enabled the system cache plugin
Ah this is the issue. If you do that the whole page is cached and rendered, so Fabrik never gets to be run at all. I never use this option with Fabrik, but rather use the global config cache options only. That way fabrik is run and we can then call or not call our own generated cache.

Hi Rob

I disabled the System Cache Plugin but the problem persists.
Even if i clear the filters the calculations remain the same.
Now my configuration is:

-Progressive cache ON
-Reload calculations YES

the login account you supplied in my-details doesn't seem to work? Also which list is this on?

Hi Rob

Please check the second site called 'PDAN'
The menu item is 127
The fabrik list is 24
However the problems stands for all fabrik list which have calculations

Thanks!

Dimos

Did you clear the J! session table?

If you've disabled the J! cache plugin, the only remaining issue could be that your previous results are still stored in the session cache, and just need clearing.

With the J! cache plugin disabled, and just the normal J! application level cache enabled, and Fabrik caching turned off for the list, then calculations should work. I've tested that it here.

The main culprit is always the J! cache plugin - as explained, that places everything totally out of our control, as the entire output for a given URL is cached by J!, and we (Fabrik, or any other extension which may have contributed content to that page) are never consulted when the page is served up from cache, so we have no way of updating anything.

-- hugh

Hi Hugh

With the settings you said, yes it works.
BUT I gain nothing on speed because disabling Fabrik list caching on the list settings make it working the same as if I had the J! application disabled.
On the contrary if I enable Fabrik caching the list load far better but the calcs don't work!

Thanks!

Dimos

Well, by definition, you can't have both!

You can't cache AND have "active" content still work.

That's like saying "I want my lists cached AND not cached".

-- hugh

Thanks Hugh.
I understand...I have to pay the price of having "active" content like calcs on the list..

Dimos

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back