Created a copy of a list, but having problems with the elements

BasilC

I'm sure I'm missing something elementary here, but I just can't figure it out!

I've been using Fabrik for an events database for quite a few years, but recently decided to revamp the form and list.

Let's call the original list and form are called List0 for simplicity

I copied the list and gave it a new name - List1. I then made changes to some of the elements - some improved validations, a bit of reformatting and some new calc elements - and distributed them among new groups with some reordering.

I've got that list how I want it, but want to have a copy of the list that doesn't use the pre-filter (the pre-filter filters out any events that have already ended). So I've saved List1 as a copy and called it List2.

Along with the new list Fabrik has created a new group List2 but the elements in it and their ordering are all copies of the elements from List0. I want the new list to consist of the improved elements and groups from List1. When I try editing form List2 it doesn't offer me any groups to add to it other than the new List2 group.

Is there an easy way of bringing across the groups and elements from List1 into List2? Or do I have to create new groups and import elements into them one at a time?

Well, there's only one parent element (List0), and all children are of that parent. IOW, children can't have children of their own... no "grandchildren".

If pre-filters are to be the only difference in between views, ask yourself another question: how about pre-filters not set in the list config, but instead in the menu item? So, keep using List1 with all its element settings, but remove the pre-filters there. Then create two menu items for List1, one with the pre-filters set in the menu item, the other without any pre-filters. No need for another list copy (a.k.a. List2).

How did you copy your list, with "Save as copy" while inside (=editing) the list? This seems to have the (wrong) behaviour you are describing.

In the list listing select your list by checking the checkbox and use the "Copy" button on top.

Well, there's only one parent element (List0), and all children are of that parent. IOW, children can't have children of their own... no "grandchildren".

If pre-filters are to be the only difference in between views, ask yourself another question: how about pre-filters not set in the list config, but instead in the menu item? So, keep using List1 with all its element settings, but remove the pre-filters there. Then create two menu items for List1, one with the pre-filters set in the menu item, the other without any pre-filters. No need for another list copy (a.k.a. List2).

Thanks for the advice.

I would have used the menu item to set the prefilter if the list had been in the front end, but I only access it from the back end (my front end template is pre-Bootstrap so Fabrik tables and forms don't display properly - in any case, I only use Fabrik for inputting data, not for displaying it on the front end.)

Re parent elements, some of the elements in List1 have been edited and are no longer children and allowed to go out on their own unsupervised and, I assumed, could have children of their own. Anyway, from what Troester has written, it looks as if my best bet would be to delete the new list and start again using the alternative way of creating a copy.

How did you copy your list, with "Save as copy" while inside (=editing) the list? This seems to have the (wrong) behaviour you are describing.

In the list listing select your list by checking the checkbox and use the "Copy" button on top.
Thanks, I think I've used this method successfully before (on another website), but this time I've run into a problem.

I created the copy as you suggest then renamed forms and groups, but when I go to View Data I get a 500 error "Fabrik has generated an incorrect query for the list". In the browser console two errors show up:

GET
https://.../administrator/index.php?option=com_fabrik&task=list.view&listid=61
Status
Internal Server Error
VersionHTTP/2
Transferred31.19 kB (30.70 kB size)
Referrer Policyunsafe-url

GEThttps:/.../administrator/templates/isis/favicon.ico
[HTTP/2 403 Forbidden 0ms]
[Exception... "Favicon at "https://.../administrator/templates/isis/favicon.ico" failed to load: Forbidden." nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: resource:///modules/FaviconLoader.jsm :: onStopRequest :: line 253" data: no]

Just realised why I got the 500 error - it's happened before, more than once, and the fix is always the same - to go into list properties and make sure that Order By is set.

Now working perfectly! Thanks Troester.

to go into list properties and make sure that Order By is set.
Yes, such settings must be adapted - the original 'orderby' element is not part of the new list.
Similar are new CCD elements still watching an original element, custom code referring element/form/group/list ids etc.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back