Duplicating Joomla and Fabrik

Hey there,

Just a little issue I came across after cloning joomla to another install.

It would seem that the new Joomla cloned version goes to another database (incremental named), but the Fabrik install and data stays on the previous Joomla database. (e.g. original db is called jos2 and the cloned joomla goes to jos3 - fabrik data stays on jos2)

Is there anyway to clone Joomla and Fabrik in one go, so they both get cloned together? Or possibly setup Fabrik on an external database (although I have a feeling only the data is kept on the external database and the settings for fabrik would be kept on the non cloned db version).

Thanks, still getting my head around how fabrik works with Joomla.

After copying Joomla with Fabrik you have to open and re-save the Fabrik connection (ID1, default) so Fabrik will know about the new Joomla database.
Fabrik will insert all params but the DB-user password automatically.

Just to confirm, when you clone joomla from cpanel, the new database is created with joomla, however from what I can see the fabrik settings for everything are kept in the previous database table.

When I change the fabrik database to the new one the forms and lists are all different because of the settings that I can only assume are on the other database table.

Last edited:
Probably answering my own question here, but did a fresh install of joomla and fabrik, set up an external database and made it default. There fore I should be able to clone joomla and then duplicated the external database separately, re-do the connection to fabrik in the cloned instance of joomla and away you go.

Not sure what you mean with "clone" Joomla.

If you want to copy your complete site (Joomla including Fabrik + everything else) use eg. Akeeba backup to create a one-to-one copy.
Then the only thing you have to do is to open and re-save the Fabrik connection.

If you are working with external databases in Fabrik you must know what you are doing. You can't do cross-joining (e.g. use a dbjoin element pointing to an other database) and there may be issues with the user element (which needs the Joomla #_users table in the Joomla DB) etc.

There is an option within cpanel to clone a joomla install, but yes I see what you mean regarding external databases.

Will look at Akeeba. Thank you

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back