From and List frontend -- remove Introduction and Footer

jameslam

Hi,

Now Fabrik Form and List work great (check my earlier post), I find their frontend display take large space for Introduction and Foot, although these are blank in my cases.

How do I remove them from frontend? My coding skills are bad, if not zero, but i'm willing to learn...

Hi,

What you need is modify the css code for your forms and lists located at :

for your lists : /components/com_fabrik/views/list/tmpl/your_template_name/template_css.php

for your forms : /components/com_fabrik/views/form/tmpl/your_template_name/template_css.php

Then, with the use of Firebug or the inspection tool of your browser, check what element makes these spaces, locate it in your template_css.php file and change the rules :)

Hi kinkaz,
I tried to locate the files, but my folder structures are not exactly the same as you mentioned. It is showing below where I can find the template_css.php.
.views
..form
...tmpl
....bootstrape
.....template_css.php
..list
...tmpl
....bootstrape
.....template_css.php

Assuming those in red are the files I should change, for Form, it's as below
<?php /** * Fabrik Form Template: Bootstrap CSS * * @package Joomla * @subpackage Fabrik * @copyright Copyright (C) 2005-2013 fabrikar.com - All rights reserved. * @license GNU/GPL http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html */ header('Content-type: text/css'); $c = (int) $_REQUEST['c']; $view = isset($_REQUEST['view']) ? $_REQUEST['view'] : 'form'; echo " .fabrikGroup { clear: left; } "; ?>
Do you know which part of the php file I need to work on?

Hi,

I imagine it's been modified for Joomla 3, you can now edit your css by using in the same folder the "custom_css_example.php".

The instructions are written in this file.

Don't edit the template_css.php file because your changes will be lost the next time you update Fabrik. Use the custom_css_example.php (that you have to rename to "custom_css.php") to make the changes.
If you want to apply the same change on all the forms/lists that use the same template, the best way is to use the Joomla template override function, as described in the Wiki: http://www.fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/form-and-details-templates/#template-overrides

In your case, if you want to remove the intro/outro of the form, you can edit the default.php file and remove "echo $form->intro;" et "echo $form->outro;".
However, it may be other elements that cause those blank spaces, so you might need to try other things too.

On my site I can't see any space used for intro/outro if they are empty.
May be your Joomla template is adding margins/padding to the form tag.

Do you have a link to your form/list + a screenshot showing what you want to change?

Hi Kinkaz,

Thank you for your quick response. Firebug is new to me and I spent quite some time on it ... an eye opening experience...

Hi jfquestiaux,

Thank your for your advice. Okay I will not touch template_css.php. But I found many default.php, not sure which is the correct for Form, under ....\tmpl25 or ....\tmpl. Any idea to make sure whch is the one?

Hi troester,

Good to know your site not showing blank space for blank intro/outro. I'm not far away...

Please find attached file Form / List backend / frontend image of Introduction from my localhost site.

Attachments

• Form-List-space.zip
    220.4 KB · Views: 160
Next time better include the images into the post (there's a fileupload option).
A real link to your form and/or list (frontend) would be useful to check your CSS online.

Did you try with Joomla's default protostar template?

okay. good to know can upload pictures directly.

I tried Form/List layout option both default and bootstrap. Frontend all displayed blank space as in these attached pictures.

Since your site has no blank space for Introduction / Footer, guess I'm missing some backend settings?

Attachments

• Form-backend.png
    Form-backend.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 205
  • Form-frontend.png
    Form-frontend.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 186
  • List-backend.png
    List-backend.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 199
  • List-frontend.png
    List-frontend.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 186
No, this is no backend setting.
Without a link to your form/List it's impossible to help

Gesendet mit Tapatalk

:-(
but really need help...

let me try what I can do to move this testing site to pubic so that u can help me and probably others with the same issues. will get back soon...

There are about 10 <p>, everyone including some <br> before and after your list/form.
Make sure your intro/outro doesn't contain such "empty" stuff (you may switch your editor to HTML mode to see this)

thanks a lot!
now I know why there are open spaces... it's because of <p> and <br>.

Forgive me if my next questions sound silly -
  • what is the "mechanism" that makes these <p> and <br> generated?
  • since my Introduction for both Form / List is empty, is there anyway to tell the "mechanism" don't generate <p> and <br> if Introduction is empty?

It's normally your Joomla editor that will create these and it causes havoc sometimes with Joomla plugins. I tend to press the "Toggle Editor" and write anything in plain text.

However if you don't intend to use the headers and footers then....

remove the intro/outro of the form, you can edit the default.php file and remove "echo $form->intro;" et "echo $form->outro;".

managed to remove these <p> and <br>!

It's actually simple, can be done without using any coding skill. Here are the steps in case it could help others.

1. backend, select Form or List
2. point to the Introduction or Footer text area (the big blank area).
3. Observe if you could freely Point your cursor to different location within the blank area without hitting keyboard ENTER
-for my case, it's yes. It means there are some blank lines and empty spaces. Press keyboard Backspace until your cursor is positioned at the very upper-left corner.​
-if it's no... congratulations!​
Look at this link
http://demo2.itutor.sg/administrator/index.php?option=com_fabrik&task=list.view&listid=1

Sure you don't need coding skills to remove text (and empty lines are text, too) from the edit area;) .
Usually a WYSIWYG editor has a button to toggle to pure text view so you can see if there are HTML tags like <p> and <br> left.
Fabrik isn't inserting anything into intro/outro by itself, maybe it's done from your editor or you didn't delete all when deleting some inserted text.

my experience is that these empty things could be inserted by editor (most likely by tinyMCE).

felixcak's reply #15 sounds the same.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back