Help with googlemap

billvv

I'm trying to set up a googlemap visualization but am not seeing any markers. I do see the empty map on the front end.

I've set up an account and a project with google, and it tells me that I have 14 map APIs enabled. The only one with any requests showing in google is 'Maps JavaScript AVI', which increments every time I try to display the map.

I have an API key, a visualization set to a table with the googlemap element in my table set to 'view in list' and linked to address,city,state,zip, but not country.

The table does not show lat/lon info in the googlemap element column.

Joomla and Fabrik plugin V3.10

http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/google-map-element/

An address will only be geocoded while editing your record (assuming you have set the correct element options and enabled the correct Googlemaps services).

If the list doesn't show the googlemap info (as lat/lon or as mini map, depending on your settings) and if the info is not stored in the database table the viz will show nothing.

An address will only be geocoded while editing your record (assuming you have set the correct element options and enabled the correct Googlemaps services)

So, I edited the first record, clicked 'Geocode' and saved the record and a red pin showed up on the map in the record. When I went to the front end and selected the visualization, it zoomed to the location and there was a small triangle which when selected showed what I think is the bubble (btw, the icon selections didn't include a pin, so I used a question mark). So it looks like google is doing its thing and now my questions are....

Do I have to manually edit 300 records to get them to show up on the page, and do that each time the table is updated with fresh data?

Where can can I find pin .png files and where do they go?​

Last edited:
I don't know your setup and your workflow.

The viz needs a googlemap element filled with lat/lon/zoom to display. See http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/google-maps-visualization/ for how to set up markers etc if you don't want the default "bubble".

If you don't handle the addresses via Fabrik (adding and editing the records) but are linking to an existing address table you can try
https://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/geocode-scheduled-task/ (but the code is several years old, no idea if it's still working)

I don't know your setup and your workflow.
BVV>> My workflow is that I use Membership Pro to manage members of a club. It updates a table every night via a CRON job that is used for the geocode element, so that table will have a blank geocode record for new members.​

The viz needs a googlemap element filled with lat/lon/zoom to display. See http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/google-maps-visualization/ for how to set up markers etc if you don't want the default "bubble".
BVV>> Pressing the geocode button on the record added a 7decimal Lat comma Lon string but nothing about a zoom.
If you don't handle the addresses via Fabrik (adding and editing the records) but are linking to an existing address table you can try
https://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/geocode-scheduled-task/ (but the code is several years old, no idea if it's still working)
BVV>> Found it, thanks! I downloaded it and enabled, and enabled the 'Scheduled Task System Plugin. The documentation for the geocode scheduled task shows a set up screen with 'address' and 'options', but I can't find a way to get to that screen.​

With lat/lon/zoom I was referring to the format in the database which is like (53.2224,-4.2007):4, not the displayed one.

For the geocode scheduled task create a new Scheduled Task and select the geocode plugin.

Last edited:
With lat/lon/zoom I was referring to the format in the database which is like (53.2224,-4.2007):4, not the displayed one.
BVV>> Once I made a scheduled task and ran it, the zoom showed.​

For the geocode scheduled task create a new Scheduled Task and select the geocode plugin.
BVV>> Done and working; Thanks!​

I'm getting the message "This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it." in the map Bubble. How can I disable that and show the email address?

You can turn J! email cloaking plugin off.
Or you can add
{emailcloak=off}
at the start of your bubble template

You can turn J! email cloaking plugin off.
Or you can add
{emailcloak=off}
at the start of your bubble template

Thank you! The bubble code didn't seem to work, but the J! email one did.

The first map is working well except that it doesn't zoom 'bounds', but rather level 4. If I empty the 'start zoom level' selection and 'Yes' to Fit Bounds and save, level 4 returns to the 'start zoom level' selection

But the second map is returning "No element matching googlemap, 1" when selected via a menu....
and the Fabrik log shows a message type "plg.cron.geocode" with the message: "8,Undefined index: user_id,/home/gfkcbrhl/public_html/components/com_cobalt/routers/main_router.php,133" which refers to a completely unrelated extension.

The second map is a copy of the first, but with a different list specified. That list has a geocode element with lat/lon/zooms element populated.

Last edited:
Which Joomla, Fabrik, php version?

{emailcloak=off} and FitBounds are working fine on my site.

"No element matching googlemap, 1"
The selected list must contain a googlemap element,

Which Joomla, Fabrik, php version?

{emailcloak=off} and FitBounds are working fine on my site.
BVV>> Joomla and Fabrik plugin V3.10... I'll try it again.​

The selected list must contain a googlemap element,
BVV>> Duh.... forgot about that one; working fine now, so far.​

The map is showing just fine now, so I thought I'd try an overlay. I created a KML file and placed it on my google drive shared by anyone with a link and then added the URL to Fabrik under the 'Overlay URL' tab, but the KML does not show. Any hints here?

Last edited:
No idea, may be the link needs some user input.
Try with KLM files stored on your J! server, eg. somewhere in images/xyz

No idea, may be the link needs some user input.
Try with KLM files stored on your J! server, eg. somewhere in images/xyz

Edit:
I figured it out, finally. Here is how (for Google):

However, I would like to specify a location in the Joomla file structure for the URL, since I don't want to use my personal Google Drive, but the googlemap documentation states
"Overlay URL - a URL to the KML file you want to use for the overlay; the file must be on a public server, accessible by Google (so NOT a file on your localhost)."

If I place the file in the images directory and create a URL, I get:
which doesn't work, nor does deleting 'home/my_database' from the URL.

I don't know how to make the URL accessible to Google.

That worked, thanks!

Another couple issues....
Since yesterday, both the Google Drive URL and the domain URL are now showing markers that I did not specify; global points of interest like the Titanic and the Grand Canyon. I found them in the KML file and removed them, but they still show.. A mystery that probably has more to do with Google than Fabrik, I'd guess, but I don't know how to get rid of them.

The second is that the 'Fit Bounds' control doesn't work; refreshing the map always displays at about 1-1/2 worlds.

The second is that the 'Fit Bounds' control doesn't work; refreshing the map always displays at about 1-1.2 worlds.
Maybe you have some record(s) with wrong/not existing googlemap coords.

I do have two empty gmap records, and I am trying to fill them.

Those two empty gmap fields are not being geocoded when the scheduled task runs. I know that if I empty the entire gmap column in the table, I can change the run time in the task (from 1 day to 1 minute, for example and then save) and it will fill the entire table, but doing the same thing with one or two empty gmap fields does not fill those fields. The fabrik log has a couple of messages after the task ran:

plg.cron.geocode.information "Total encoded: 0"
plg.cron.geocode "8,Undefined index: view,/home/my_database/public_html"

I read from the documentation that when a user acesses a page on the front end "the plug-in checks all of Fabrik's published scheduled tasks. If any task needs to be run Fabrik will run that task."What does "needs to be run" mean? (I'm guessing it means if the page access time minus the last run time is greater than the scheduled run interval).

If I want to create a cpanel CRON job to update the table, which php file do I run?

Last edited:
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back