Hide Table Display of element when Value is NULL

ranwilli

I am doing a form and table for reporting comments made by a caregiver during visits to the elderly.

A shift can start and end at any time day or night, and the caregivers are required to make an entry once per hour. I have made text elements to contain these entries thusly:

hour0 (midnight)
hour1
hour2
hour22
hour23

When the caregiver makes his entries, they are made on the form in the appropriate hour.

Obviously, since shifts are usually (but not always) less than 8 hours, the form fields are mostly NULL, leaving me with an ugly display no matter how I format.

I know how to conditionally hide fields on a form, but not on a table... Any ideas?

BTW, only 1 row of data will be in view at any time. I may use Seblod to display the row in a Joomla article.

Thanks, guys...

As you are in a fabrik3 forum I think you mean "list"?
But anyway
You can prefilter your list/table showing only the records you want.

Clearly, I didn't explain myself well, AT ALL, and it's because I showed those elements as a column, and they're actually part of a row...
Each row would contain all 24 fields, but I would like to display ONLY those elements which are not null. Unless I am mistaken (more than just slightly possible, lol) I don't think a filter would help...

If you want to display rows showing different elements you can't put it in a table where every column is for one element.
You can do it with a custom template. http://fabrikar.com/wiki/index.php/3.x_List_Templates
You could copy the default template, omit the header and skip empty elements,
or copy the div template to get a catalog like display (which may be in rows)

Obviously, since shifts are usually (but not always) less than 8 hours, the form fields are mostly NULL, leaving me with an ugly display no matter how I format.

Could you not do a repeat group containing something like a dropdown element. The carer would select the hour via the dropdown and then fill out the comments, thereby any records would only be for actual entries which would prevent nulls.

Could you not do a repeat group containing something like a dropdown element. The carer would select the hour via the dropdown and then fill out the comments, thereby any records would only be for actual entries which would prevent nulls.

I surely could, and would have, but the client doesn't want that, says it would be harder for the caregivers, and he's probably right.

thx for the suggestion.

If you want to display rows showing different elements you can't put it in a table where every column is for one element.
You can do it with a custom template. http://fabrikar.com/wiki/index.php/3.x_List_Templates
You could copy the default template, omit the header and skip empty elements,
or copy the div template to get a catalog like display (which may be in rows)
thanx for this - has a great deal of merit and is what I probably will do.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back