Messaging System - How to show message Unread and change to Read?

hominid4

Hi. I have a ?messaging? table to allow clients to post messages to their relationship employees. Each client has assigned employees, and an employee can be assigned to multiple clients. When a client posts a message, only their assigned employees can see the message; so the one message will be viewed by multiple employees.

I?m currently using the three tables below to accomplish this. The client uses the ?portal_messages? form to post the message, and I have an onAfterProcess form PHP plugin that pulls all the ?employee_user_id? IDs from the ?portal_user_relationship? table that are related to the ?client_user_id? and inserts a row per ?employee_user_id? into the ?portal_messages_rel? table.

The employee views the ?portal_messages? list, and if they are related to the client they see the message.

====================
portal_messages
====================
message_id (AI) | client_user_id | subject | message | read
??????????
1 | 492 | Test Subject | Test message.

* ?subject?: Show in List, links to details.
* ?message?: Not shown in List.

====================
portal_user_relationship
====================
id (AI) | employee_user_id | client_user_id
??????????
1 | 18 | 492
2 | 24 | 492
3 | 21 | 492

====================
portal_messages_rel
====================
id (AI) | message_id | client_user_id | employee_user_id | read (0 unread / 1 read)
??????????
1 | 1 | 492 | 18 | 0
2 | 1 | 492 | 24 | 0
3 | 1 | 492 | 21 | 0

What I?m now needing is to add a ?Unread/Read? feature, so that when the employee views (reads) the message it shows that the message is read. And this is where I?m stuck. I currently have a ?read? column added to ?portal_messages_rel? that defaults to ?0? when inserted. The client is able to view the ?portal_messages_rel? list to see which employees have read the message(s).

Would anyone have a suggestion on, either, if an employee clicks on the ?subject? to view the message details it changes the ?read? in the ?portal_messages_rel? table from 0 to 1; or, if needed, the employee views the message and there?s a Yes/No element that they have to click ?Yes? to show that they read the message.

I thought maybe adding a hidden ?change-to-read? calc element to ?portal_messages?, and when the message details are viewed by the employee it runs onload and changes the employee?s ?read? who is reading the message from 0 to 1 in the ?portal_messages_rel? table. But not sure if that?s the best approach.

Will eventually need to show the unread message in the ?portal_messages? list as bold, but I'll tackle that after this step.

Any suggestions would be appreciated on what may be the best path to achieve this. Thanks!

Thanks Gherkin for the suggestion, that looked promising but didn?t quite see how to change the ?portal_messages_rel___read? value to ?1? when viewing the message.

I had to get up something quick up before the holiday so I created a custom Details template just for this (which I was hoping to not have to do) and added the below PHP to that; I?m not sure if it?s fully correct but it?s doing what I?m needing in regards to setting the ?portal_messages_rel___read? value from ?0? to ?1?:
PHP:
$myDb = JFactory::getDbo();
$myQuery = $myDb->getQuery(true);

$user = JFactory::getUser(); // get user ID
$userId = $user->get('id');
$userId = $myDb->quote($userId);

$app = JFactory::getApplication(); // get viewed row/message ID
$input  = JFactory::getApplication()->input;
$rowId = $input->get('rowid');
$rowId = $myDb->quote($rowId);

$messageTable = $myDb->quoteName('portal_messages_rel');

$myQuery = 'UPDATE ' . $messageTable . ' SET `read` = 1 WHERE (`message_id` = ' . $rowId . ') AND (`employee_user_id` = ' . $userId . ')';
$myDb->setQuery($myQuery);
$found = (int) $myDb->execute();

I also added a ?message_state? calc element to the ?portal_messages? list that selects the ?portal_messages_rel___read? value on load and I use this element as the row class in the ?portal_messages? List to use for my CSS to bold the unread rows.

Thanks again!

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back