Planning stage

localgalaxy

Currently have a test site set up utlizing J 2.5.11 and Fabrik 3.08.

IN short the site will allow companies to store data about their employees.

The challenge is to be able to allow some companies (ie users at certain access privilege) to share their data with other companies (ie users at the same or similar access level). By default, new companies will only have access to the data they upload or enter.

Is such a goal attainable with Fabrik/Joomla? And if so, is it best to build on J3.1 and Fabrik 3.x or should J2.5.x be fine??

thank you for your reply.

OK, one question at a time. Firstly, the version question.

I would say it depends on your timeline. We really are trying to focus as much as possible on 3.1 development, so bugs / issues / feature requests in 3.1 already do take priority, and will increasingly take more priority. And J! 3.0 is definitely the way to go if you are establishing a new site.

Fabrik 3.1 is still not quite as stable as 3.0, although we are fixing bugs as quickly as we humanly can when they are reported, and we feel like the core is stable. You may find issues with lesser used plugins, or come across the occasional bug in the core features. But as a Pro member, we will fix those issues for you very quickly.

So the main questions are whether a) your app will push the envelope at all, or if it just uses core features and well used / understood plugins, and b) if you are under a very short deadline, which would mean that using J! 2.5 / F 3.0 might save you a little time, in that it is slightly more stable, especially some of the lesser used plugins.

From you description, it sounds like your app is fairly straight forward, so my suggestion would be to start with J! 3.0 and F! 3.1, and lets make it work.

For you access question ... I think I need to better understand how your Viewing Access Levels will be set up, before saying "Yes", but I think our list access control is felxible enough to handle what I *think* you are asking, and what I'm assuming your VAL setup will be.

-- hugh

While the timeline is quite flexible this is not a new site; a dormant site yes, but not new. A prior developer started on the project over 2 years ago and over the course of a year or so managed to implement theme, content and about 8 or so lists using Fabrik 2 and J! 1.5.

Since taking over, I have migrated to F! 3 and J! 2.5 and the lists etc are functioning fine.

Taking your recommendation above, I tried the direct upgrade to J! 3.1 through admin panel without checking all extensions and it did break the site. So now it appears I am faced with going through and manually removing every plugin and extension not compatible with 3.1 of which there are about 100 or so. Oh my.

In theory the viewing access is a simple concept. Company A registers and uploads employee data for their use. Company B and Company C does the same. If Company A and Company B decide they would like to share their employee data for potential sub-contract opportunities, how do we make this happen while at the same time not allowing Company C to view Company A or B's data until a request to do so has been submitted? And our v 2.0 question will be how do we automate the sharing between companies securely.....

The User Group setup is currently:

Group TitleUsers in groupID
Display #
Public 1
|? Manager 6
|?|? Administrator 1 7
|?|? Supervisor 9
|? Registered 4 2
|?|? Agent 1 16
|?|?|? Company 8 10
|?|?|?|? Company A 1 20
|?|?|?|? Company B 2 19
|?|?|? Company Lite 3 18
|?|?|? Company User 3 17
|?|?|? Sponsor 1 13
|?|? Author 3
|?|?|? Editor 4
|?|?|?|? Publisher 5
|? Super Users

Depends how you updated, generally you would need to checkout the latest code from the joomla3 github branch and manually ftp up the files.
What error message do you get, I don't think simply having plugins installed will cause an issue. They are only used when assigned to a form/list.

In theory the viewing access is a simple concept.
hehe as soon as you write, 'simple' in the same phrase as 'in theory' you know you're in for trouble ! :D
This type of logic is really outside of Joomla's ACL

First you would need a list to define the relationship between companies. Each relationship being a single row in the table.

Code:
+=================+
|company_relationships |
+=================+
| company_id |
+------------------------+
| partner_company_id |
+------------------------+
Then you would need to add pre-filters to all lists. It would need a pre-filter query to get an list of company id's by querying the table company_relationships. In the following query I'm presuming you have another table 'user_profile' which stores the user id and their company_id.

Code:
SELECT partner_company_id FOM company_relationships WHERE company_id = (SELECT company_id FROM user_profile WHERE user_id = '{$my->id}')

then i believe you should be able to build the pre-filter query as:

Code:
WHERE company_id IN {$q->company_id}

Again I'm presuming that the list has a field company_id which tells us the company that created/owns the record

Again I'm presuming that the list has a field company_id which tells us the company that created/owns the record

Please see this sample dummy employee record for fields in form. I see a unique ID "id" and an Acct ID, i believe, "rtld_user". In the actual data the "rtld_user" data is consistent for each acct., while the data in the "id" is different for each employee record.

Attachments

• db_employees-export.zip
    26.4 KB · Views: 326
Its hard to tell from an export of the one db table.
Do you have a list created for companies?
Do you have a database join element in your users list pointing to the companies list?

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back