Should I use 1.06 or 2.0? - NEWBIE

MSITeacher

Hello Everyone,

Background:
I am VERY NEW to all of this. I wanted something that could do (possibly even Multi) Forms for a website I am creating. HOW NEW? - I just installed Joomla (1.5) yesterday and Fabrik (2.0) today. Don't know anything about Categories, Articles, Subjects, or Predicates (lol) - YET. I am not a programmer, etc., either. But I have been researching to find what I need, and I think Joomla - FABRIK, definitely has it!

Question:
With this in mind: Wanting to get my website up and running ASAP. BEFORE I DIVE IN,

You think I should use Fabrik 2.0 (have read about its improvements since Apr 2008 )?

or

Downgrade to Joomla 1.0 and use Fabrik 1.0.6 because of it's stability?

Good question.

It really depends on how complex the application you want to build is.

The core features of 2.0 are starting to solidify. So if you don't need to do anything too funky, and just want to build relatively simple forms / tables, 2.0 is probably solid enough, as long as you upgrade to the latest SVN version. The 2.0b ZIP on our downloads section is an early build, which has had several hundred bug fixes since it was built.

There's a sticky in the 2.0 Beta forum about how to create an install ZIP from SVN. Takes five or ten minutes to do it, maybe 20 if you have to install Tortoise as well, but worth the time.

Given your self-confessed newbieness, I suspect that your requirements will be relatively simple, so you'll probably be OK with 2.0

Maybe you could outline what you want to do with Fabrik, which would help me make a recomendation.

-- hugh

Switch

Yes,

You are right. Since 1.0.6 is stable and I think I need something that's just a little complex (database), I'd probably need to do the 1.0.6 version. I tried the SVN and 2.0 and ran into some issues - which may not be a facture for the other version. Plus, there's nothing like peace of mind.

THANKS for alllll your help!

Good question.

It really depends on how complex the application you want to build is.

The core features of 2.0 are starting to solidify. So if you don't need to do anything too funky, and just want to build relatively simple forms / tables, 2.0 is probably solid enough, as long as you upgrade to the latest SVN version. The 2.0b ZIP on our downloads section is an early build, which has had several hundred bug fixes since it was built.

There's a sticky in the 2.0 Beta forum about how to create an install ZIP from SVN. Takes five or ten minutes to do it, maybe 20 if you have to install Tortoise as well, but worth the time.

Given your self-confessed newbieness, I suspect that your requirements will be relatively simple, so you'll probably be OK with 2.0

Maybe you could outline what you want to do with Fabrik, which would help me make a recomendation.

-- hugh

Back