[SOLVED] Joining table then primary list shows records only if record in joined table exists

pastvne

Bruce Decker
Hi All:

I have a primary list
I populate it with a public data source ( a CSV list of airports)
Details about the airports change over time so we need to be able to clear the primary table and re-load it periodically.
I'm allowing the standard 'id' column produced by fabrik with auto-increment but the real reference is another column called loc_id which contains the airport code (e.g., APA)

Joined table
I created a second list to store additional data not provided in the public data source
I also allow Fabrik to create its own id column, auto increment
I store a loc_id in this table as well (e.g., APA)

I INNER join the second table to the primary table from primary.loc_id to secondary.loc_id

This seems to work and the elements display properly.
However, in the primary list display, records display ONLY if there is a corresponding record in the joined table.

I am joining based on loc_id because when we re-load the primary table, there could be new airports or some could be deleted and this would change the id in the primary table. So I need a value for joining that will not change when airports are re-loaded (so that the second list data persists and reconnects with the appropriate parent record).

My Questions:
Is there a better way to model this?

Do I need to use the implicit 'id' column generated by fabrik as my primary key for the primary table or can I use the loc_id as my primary key? If so, do I need to make this change at the database level? How do I ensure that I don't break fabrik?

1. In general: In Fabrik one leg of the join must be a primary key (joining some other unique columns may work if your list is strictly readonly)

However, in the primary list display, records display ONLY if there is a corresponding record in the joined table.
This is how a INNNER join is defined. Use a LEFT join to display also records without a corresponding record.

Thanks Troester. I tried left and MYSQL filled up my /tmp directory. I made sure loc_id was indexed on both lists. I suspect that the root issue is that I'm joining two non-primary keys. Would it help, at the database level, if I marked these columns as unique, which they are?

I think I have it working and made two mistakes which I have corrected:

1) I didn't index loc_id in other table. I think this was causing MySQL to create some temp table it was using which filled up /tmp. It had a bunch of large files with MYSQL in the name. If I bounced MySQL to get the server back, the large files in /tmp disappeared. So, I think I was triggering some sort of temp table build caused by my lack of understanding.
2) I hadn't marked the loc_id columns, which are unique, as Unique. After I did this, the list worked and is actually performing well. I suppose now, for safety, I should download the IS_UNIQUE fabrik validation plug-in and apply that to the loc_id field to reduce the chance that I might submit multiple records with the same loc_id into the second table.

As always Troester, your patient help is something I'm thankful for on each interaction. Thank you for all you do!

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back