[Solved] Unexpected 403 error on Form Save - Check with your ISP

Duke3D

On Submit I get:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /read-and-score-applications/form/7/2996 on this server.

I went to Options to turn on Fabrik Debug and on clicking Save also got a 403 error from com_config. Tested other Joomla Config panels - issue appeared to only affect Fabrik. No patches or updates have been applied during the last four days of issue-free working with Fabrik - these are the first 403's I have experienced in Fabrik, though this is the first time I am trying to change Options for this site.

This is strange. When I went to bed I thought I was done except for a couple enhancements - all forms working. This morning after a reboot I suddenly have this 403 error when trying to save a record. I have three forms that are nearly identical, and two still work - the ones using the Save and Next code are saving just fine - only the forms using normal Save are affected. [SNIP - Further details deleted]

UPDATE - Issue was that the ModSecurity configuration was changed overnight at Rochen's servers. They were able to whitelist my site instantly. They will do so on a case by case basis while waiting for the vendor providing the ruleset updates to correct it to not affect Joomla sites. I have asked what they specifically changed in case others hit the same issue and to understand why Save was affected and Save and Next was not or why com_config for Fabrik was affected but not most other components, but the techs do not have details about what the rule changes were, they can only whitelist around them.

If you are on Rochen, or other vendors that might be using the same ModSecurity rule service, you may want to Open Fabrik Options (com_config), then click Save to see if you get a 404. If any issues, open a ticket at your hosting company so they can whitelist your site until the next ruleset is applied.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTe
Now six years later I had similar error (403 Forbidden) when trying to save or cancel to edit some of my forms in the Fabrik forms edit at the back-end (admin) side of Joomla. The post above helped me and I contacted my hosting provider and they could fix the problem by changing their security rules.

So it is good to know this can happen also when editing an existing or creating a new form on the Joomla back-end.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back