Two forms, same database

winchester

Hi,

I have created a survey with over a 120 questions for researchers, beach property owners and managers to use to populate a directory for public beaches in Jamaica. These researcher, owners/managers are all in a specially created Joomla group and can submit and edit the surveys and everything is working fine.

Now we would like regular registered users to be able to submit to the directory, except, rather than filling a 120+ questions form, we would like them to fill in just the basic information of about 30 questions and upload their photos.

Scope:
  • We would like registered users to have access to a basic form where they can submit and edit only their entries.
  • When they submit an entry, we would like a chance for the staff to check and approve the submission before publishing it.
  • We would like to be able to tag entries on the list to differentiate between registered user entries and official entries - like a diagonal (sash-like) tag at the top corner.

Questions:

The form:
  • I know I can create a new form and duplicate the elements of the relevant questions, but is this the best way of going about this?
  • If so, how do I point the form to the main DB table?
  • Also, do I keep the duplicated elements attached to their parents (parent/child)?

Approvals:
There is a video tutorial by Rob, that shows how to do this, but for an earlier version of Fabrik.
  • Is this the only or best way to do this or is there another way that may be easier or better?

User entries:
  • I figure that to do this, I will need to use URL queries that checks the Joomla User's ID for registered users to see/access a list of their own entries, but is this the easiest way to do this or is it the only way?
  • How do I handle the permissions on the list so that the registered users can get the "edit" button for only their entries and none of the others?
  • How do I go about setup the tagging diagonal tags?

I know this is a lot, but please any insight or help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Winchester

Last edited:
Hi Winchester,

why don't you copy the list and prefilter the 10 question?
If you copy the list, you have already the form, groups and elements (option to unlink).

Cheers
Bianka

Hi Bea,

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look. I may have other questions though, as I'm still relatively new to Fabrik and have not yet tired many of the capabilities and feature of Fabrik.

I will update here on whatever I try.

Thanks Bea.

Winchester

Hi,

I'm not sure what to do here (see image below). I know that I need to change the name of the list, but I'm not sure about the others.

fabrik-new-list-copy.jpg

Hi Winchester,

why don't you copy the list and prefilter the 10 question?
If you copy the list, you have already the form, groups and elements (option to unlink).

Cheers
Bianka
Hi again, Bea,

I should mention that right now, the elements are in different groups - as you can see there are many groups in this survey. With this method, would I be able to move selected elements into a single group?

Thanks,
Winchester

Hi Winchester,

that's the regular view when you copy a list. To get familiar with Fabrik, you should set up a test site.
You have to rename list, site and groups to identify them later. The copy will store the data in the same database table as the Basic one.
From there you can set prefilter on table, hide groups, modify or unpublish unlinked elements.

• Basic site list
  • Basic site form
  • Basic groups
    • Basic info
    • Beach basic
  • Copy site list
  • Copy site form
  • Copy groups
    • Copy Basic info
    • Copy Beach basic
How do I handle the permissions on the list so that the registered users can get the "edit" button for only their entries and none of the others?
http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/placeholders/#user-my-gt-id

You can use this placeholder to prefilter table: {$my->id}

Cheers,
Bianka

Last edited:
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back