User Editing Table in Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgreer65

All,

I want to let a user edit his/her own entries in the site database. I have a few ideas how to do this, but what is the simplest way? I really just want to have a simple way for users to add/delete rows in a table.

Sorry if this has been posted before. I didn't see any information in the forums or in the fabrik forum either.

Thanks,
Michael

Assuming you have an existing database not created via Fabrik, I haven't done this before, but I imagine this is how it would be done:

Go to Lists - New - under Data Tab, choose your Database Table. (Also, under Advanced, you may want to set Alter Field Types to No - to prevent Fabrik changing your field settings in the Database Table.

If I'm right, this should generate a Fabrik List, Fabrik Form, Fabrik Group and Elements for each field. You would need to tweak the elements to get the labels right and maybe some other enhancements.

Then just set your group permissions to allow add, edit and delete in the table settings as you see fit.

Like I say, I haven't done this before, but this is what I imagine would do it for you.

cheers, Jeremy

never mind! for some reason, when I was clicking the button earlier, the options to delete/edit didn't show up. I can see them now for some reason.

new question, how come my row will not delete when I click the delete button? I have even tried setting the delete option to public?

Hmm, that doesn't sound right. What is your setup? Are you using a default template?

yes, I haven't modified the list template at all. I just now tried using another couple types and even switched browsers...still no luck.

sorry for the additional post, but I have a slight update...this issue still exists though.

I was using the fabrik plugin to show this list in an article originally. I just referenced the list through a module, and noticed that I had slightly more functionality. I am not seeing the post-delete box that says, 'X records deleted'. Previously, I was not seeing this when I displayed the list in an article through the plugin. however, having said this, the record is still not deleting...

Are you logged in as a user? Does it work ok if you display it with a menu item? Did you change the "Alter Field Types" list setting - that might prevent you from deleting data?

I am logged in as myself (super user), and the list is set to public.

Good idea on the alter field types...didn't realize this was there. I set it from 'Global' to 'Yes', but it still isn't working any differently.

I am currently displaying it as a menu item - but referencing the fabrik list...sorry, may have typed something slightly different earlier.

Just FYI, 'alter field types' does not affect row deletion. What that does is, if set to No, we will not alter the structure of the underlying table, i.e. we won't add new fields, or change field names, or change field types. It has nothing to do with the actual data itself.

I'm not aware of any current issues to do with deleting rows, it works fine for me. So I'm going to have to see your site. Either catch me on Skype ('cheesegrits') or PM the all the details, including a link to this thread, and bump this thread when you've sent the PM.

-- hugh

Anyone,

I am still having trouble getting this issue resolved. I have a list, and I cannot seem to find any way to let myself (super user) or other users (registered or public) to be able to delete rows in this list.

Ideally, I want to have registered users. They will have the ability to see the list with their own data only, and be able to update/delete their own data only. At the moment, I am struggling here, as I cannot even get something to delete from the list period. Any thoughts here are appreciated, as I feel like I have tried every combination of settings out there between the user manager and the Fabrik list access options.

Thanks!

Update...

I moved on to another issue which involved fixing my primary key in the table I want to access. After doing this, I am not able to delete entries from the table.

However, I still have one problem. I know that fabrik allows users to edit/delete their own entries by setting the 'or use field' to the user id. Is it possible for the user to only view his/her own entries in the list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back