Adding a true date element instead of date/time

kouwearie

I wonder when theres a real date element instead of the current one, which is actually a date/time element now.
Im using external software for extraction from my online mysql db, and the external software doesnt support the date/time element, but does support date element. And when im adding an element with date function in Fabrik, it will change the database field to date/time.

I doubt we're going to create one any time soon. We have our hands full just maintaining the existing date element.

Although to be fair, a lot of the issues with the existing element are to do with time zones and the time portion in general.

It's something that is on our "to do ... one of these days, but don't hold your breath" list.

-- hugh

Then at least rename it to date/time i guess..
To peepz with the same issue, you can change the database fielt type to date through phpmyadmin or anything you prefer. As long as your not altering the fabrik element, it will be keeping the field type date

We don't really want to rename it either, There's years worth of references to "the date element" in the forums, tutorials, wiki, etc, which would then become very confusing when people went looking for "the date element" if we renamed it.

-- hugh

If you are linking your fabrik list to an existing MySQL table you can (and should) set "Alter existing field types" =no (list: "Advanced" group) to prevent fabrik from changing the database field

We don't really want to rename it either, There's years worth of references to "the date element" in the forums, tutorials, wiki, etc, which would then become very confusing when people went looking for "the date element" if we renamed it.

-- hugh
You might have a point there. Although i think it is a bit weird for a date element to have date/time instead of date as a default field type in a database table, but hey..who the **** am i :D ..

If you are linking your fabrik list to an existing MySQL table you can (and should) set "Alter existing field types" =no (list: "Advanced" group) to prevent fabrik from changing the database field
Yeah i know that, but it was when i was building a new table and added the date element, the external software kept bugging on the date/time field type.
Now that iv manually set field type to date through phpmyadmin it is working as it should.

You probably find it weird because you are familiar with MySQL and the difference between the DATE and DATETIME column types.

But you might as well say that PHP should rename the date() function, as it can handle times as well.

Whichever way we do it, someone will come up with a reason we should do it differently. :)

-- hugh

possible element name could be "only date"

Today the element that has DATE behind is birthday element.
But it would be good to implement both DATE (under name "only date") and TIME elements. Especially it could help to improve some functions, e.g. Google Calendar sync - when we have separate fields for date and time we can separate events as "from time to time" and allday events.
Good example - Eventlist component. BTW - in this component when date or time field is empty then the corresponding value in db table is NULL - that means no 0000-00-00 or 00:00 is displayed in this case.
I also believe it would be useful for the F calendar visualization as well :)

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back