Creating a list across connections causes duplicate lists

p38

Hi,

I have found that when creating a list in Admin, and I use an external connection (not site db), I often get a duplicate list, plus duplicate forms and elements.

The duplicates have identical names, except the ID's

Bit of a pain to find the corerct list to delete

Any thoughts?

Paul

Latest from GIT and J2.58

Urgent: this is no a problem

I have just lost 8 hours of work.

A duplicate list appeared, including fomrs groups and labels when I was editing the list in question.

I then deleted the later list (checking the last ID), and now it has deleted all my previous work setting up the forms, element and groups.

Something is seriously wrong here........

Please check when using tables across connections, I suspect this is where the problem is.

The dangerous thing is nowhere does it ask to make a duplicate, it just does.

Help!!!!!

hmm I can't replicate this one, i have a secondary connection and can add lists either from existing tables or creating a new one, and I can edit and save those lists and I dont see any duplicate forms/groups being made.

Could you explain further what your set up is (e.g. are there any joins, prefilters, copied tables, etc) Anything you can think of that might be causing this issue.

thx
Rob

Paul - does troester's suggestion sound like it's possible? That is, do you have a table of the same name on your default connection?

-- hugh

Hi, troesters link sounds plausible, but in my case, the list plus all elements are copied to a new list. The form and groups are not for some reason.

Note this does not happen every time, and I have yet to see a pattern of my actions to try and replicate, but mostly occured when I was editing a list.

Also of note is that a no new mysql db tables are created.

I have no prefilters, nothing fancy, no joins, no copied tables or linked elements.

I have used fabrik extensively, and Using the defualt site connection is no problem, but this is the first time I have setup a site across 2 connections.

Also I can mention, the 2 different connections are on 2 different database servers.

Paul

I've been able to provoke some weird behavior when I have a table of the same name on the default connection. I'm almost recovered from a bout of flu I've been down with all week, will be working on this again today.

-- hugh

bump

Any progress, I have just had duplicate elements again so this is becoming a major problem now.

I renamed a forma nd group belomnging to a cross a db connection list and it duplicated the list plus all elements and forms

Paul

You didn't mention that you've renamed a form in your earlier posts.
I can confirm:
rename a form (e.g. id=79) belonging to a list with an alternate connection
-->
form is renamed
a new list is created with the new form name, standard connection, pointing to the same form id=79, which I think is the reason for the following issues

form is showing twice in form listing (2x id79)
all elements are showing twice in element listing (with identical ids)

Sending the additional list to trash will trash form 79 (and group and all elements, too)

If your "second" list is still in the trash it should be possible to restore it (this will bring back your original "renamed" form + all elements, displayed in duplicates).
Then you can delete the list entry in phpMyAdmin and all should be fixed.

Yes I normally use PhpAdmin to rectify the problem.

It looks like you have found the issue.

I did not mention I renamed forms in earlier posts as I could not pinpoint the exact sequences I was working with as I was still building lists, forms elements etc etc.

This last sequence was a simple rename and the problem manifested itself hence I could mention what I did.

I trust now rob and hugh can solve the problem.

many thanks,

Paul

hi
Well that was a pretty odd bug. I'm really not sure what was wrong with our code, but the list models internal state was getting altered somewhere.
I think I have fixed it with some band aid code, in the latest github commit

-Rob

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back