Facebook comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vadim

When I used this element at previous site, this element cannot provide comments for records in a list, it provides same comments for all records, and this is problem. For example, compare 2 links:
this is the request for help from mother of the child, including comment of mother with a help of facebook comment.
http://www.dobrochin.org/index.php?...details&Itemid=37&fabrik=4&tableid=4&rowid=43
and this is request for help from another person, where we also can see previous comment of mother for help in f, and it looks like strange.
http://www.dobrochin.org/index.php?...=details&Itemid=37&fabrik=4&tableid=4&rowid=6

What should I do to provide facebook comments reflected in the application to which they belong?

exceed the time limit for respond! I remember Rob doesn't work on week-end, and I still hope to see respond during working days.

Looking at this one now.

I think at the moment, that's just the way that plugin works. It's not row specific, comments are shared by all rows.

I'm looking at making that behavior optional, so if you don't specify a "Domain URL" in the element settings, it'll default to making row specific comments.

Bear with me, as this is the first time I've tried using the FB open graph API, so I'm not very familiar with it yet.

-- hugh

OK, I've updated and tested the code locally. The way I've modified it is, if you specify a "Domain URL", the behavior will be unchanged, and all comments on all rows will be shared.

If you leave "Domain URL" blank, then comments will be rows specific. the only wrinkle there is that this obviously won't work when creating a new form (as we don't know the unique row ID until after the form is saved), so when creating a form it will say "Facebook commenting will be enabled after the form is saved".

Of course, this requires a translation, so I'm adding an ru-RU language file. I'll need you to translate the following phrases for me:

PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_APPLICATION_ID_LABEL="Application ID"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_APPLICATION_ID_DESC="Create an application on developer.facebook.com to get your application ID"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_UNIQUE_ID_LABEL="Unique id"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_UNIQUE_ID_DES="Leave blank to default to this page's URL"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_WIDTH_LABEL="Width"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_NUMBER_OF_COMMENTS_LABEL="Number of comments"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_HREF_LABEL="Domain URL"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_HREF_DESC="The URL, e.g. fabrikar.com to comment on"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_COLOUR_SCHEME_LABEL="Colour Scheme"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_AVAILABLE_WHEN_SAVED="Facebook commenting will be enabled after the form has been saved"

Once we've done the translation, I'll commit the changes to github, and you can test.

-- hugh

Well... I'd like to be honest - the only thing, which I understand after looking through your post is that I should provide translation and after github I can check changes.
So,

PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_APPLICATION_ID_LABEL="Application ID" "????????????????? ????? ??????????"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_APPLICATION_ID_DESC="Create an application on developer.facebook.com to get your application ID" "????? ???????? ????????????????? ????? ??????????, ???????? ?????????? ?? developer.facebook.com"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_UNIQUE_ID_LABEL="Unique id" "????????? ?????"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_UNIQUE_ID_DES="Leave blank to default to this page's URL" "???????? ?????????????, ????? ????? ???? ???????? ????????????? ?? ?????????"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_WIDTH_LABEL="Width" "??????"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_NUMBER_OF_COMMENTS_LABEL="Number of comments" "?????????? ????????????"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_HREF_LABEL="Domain URL" "????? ??????"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_HREF_DESC="The URL, e.g. fabrikar.com to comment on" "????? ??? ???????????????, ???? fabrikar.com"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_COLOUR_SCHEME_LABEL="Colour Scheme" "???????? ?????"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_AVAILABLE_WHEN_SAVED="Facebook commenting will be enabled after the form has been saved" "??????????????? ?? ??????? ????? ???????????? ????? ???? ?????????? ?????"

By the way you may use "????? URL" instead of "?????" - I think that URL is enough well-known word for Russian-speaking users.

So, let me know when I should make github

Well... I'd like to be honest - the only thing, which I understand after looking through your post is that I should provide translation and after github I can check changes.

Not quite sure how I can make it clearer, but I'll try.

As you said, the fbcomment plugin was submitting comments such that they all appeared on all rows. And if you selected "Post to Facebook", the URL it linked to would be whatever you set "Domain URL" to.

I have changed it, so if you leave the "Domain URL" blank, we will now associate comments on each form (row) with just that row. So each form will only show comments made on that form, and the URL in the optional FB post will point to the detail link for that specific form.

Note that I'm changing the name of the "Domain URL" setting to "Comment URL", and I've also changed the tooltip for that phrase. So if you can give me the Russian phrases for:

PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_HREF_LABEL="Comment URL"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_HREF_DESC="The URL, e.g. http://fabrikar.com to comment on, may use placeholders. Leave blank to default to the form's detail link."

... I'll update the new Russian translation.

BTW, when giving me these translations, can you format them by just replacing the English text between the double quotes with the Russian, rather than adding the Russian on the end, like you did with the last one? Just makes it easier for me to copy and paste into the code, without having to edit every line. Thanks.

All changes so far are now in github, so you can go ahead and test. I'll just modify those phrases when you give them to me, but they are just backend, so you can go ahead and test now.

-- hugh

OK, let's do it in two steps: I'll do github after you finish with translation od last sentences below (let me know); 2) I'll check your recommendations and let you know results.
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_HREF_LABEL="????? (URL) ??? ????????????"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_HREF_DESC="????? (URL), ????????, http://fabrikar.com ??? ???????????????, ?????? ???????????? ???????????????? (placeholders). ???????? ???? ?????? ?? ?? ????????? ??????? ?????? ?? ????????? ????? (form's detail)".
sometimes it sounds like ravings in Russian, for example for placeholders. I don't know what is it for and use just translation of words. So possibly after testing I'll provide you more accurate translation. And finally, I propose to leave key-words in a bracket in English as this is the only chance for users to find additional information at your English WIKI and Forum.

Still waiting you on skype!

I've checked and there is a bad news - it doesn't work.

What I did. I left blank field Comment URL as you recommended and saved element 282. Then I open a form 18 and made a comment within a facebook. Twice for different records (rows). One with "Post to Facebook", another - not. Results: there are no comments in a Fabrik (you may check both records for comments here http://www.dobrochyn.org/index.php/features/philanthropy-marketplace and there is one comment on Facebook.

Well, cheesegrits it looks like you should continue.

And about En-Ru - I attached a screenshot of this element, where are main functions in En (Add a comment... , button Comment, Post to Facebook, Reply, Like, Unflow post, 2 seconds ago, Facebook social plugin). Can we translate them to Russian? Just checked previous site - you had a Locale field for Facebook comment element, now - none, possibly you should restore it?

Attachments

• fb1.png
    fb1.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 288
It's coming up 5pm on Fri night, I probably won't be able to work on this till Monday. I'll try and find some time over the weekend, but I'm moving house next week, so things are a little crazy here.

-- hugh

In any case thank you cheesegrits for your time, esp. during weekend! As I understand it is a Fabrik team, not only your solo. It's a pity but I cannot receive Rob's responds even for working days during more than 48 hours. So, I hope he also remembers about team and will be able to insure you during next week here. I collected too much questions without solutions, esp with prefiltering, and it makes me nervous again!((

I've replied to your posts
I'm still waiting for the documentation you promised me and which we advised you to do right at the beginning of this project. Its a shame that you don't listen to the advice we give, and them blame us when we can't help you because we can't understand.

Fabrik is a team of two, you ask so many questions that we can't possibly reply to all of them within the allotted time scale. Hugh's primary role in Fabrik is the support, my primary role is not support, its coding, running the business, etc.

We have gone WAY over the allotted 'on server' time of 2 hours for you. We have had long and extensive conversations with you on skype where we have not only been doing support but have been doing consulting work for you, plus other general Joomla, phpmyadmin etc support that has very little to do with Fabrik itself.

Frankly, we give a very good deal to you. Its disheartening to hear in your posts that you feel otherwise.

This thread has name "Facebook comments", you left message with no word about solving this problem, and you think it inspires me? As previous your silent for a long time? When you touch cold its cold, when you touch hot it is hot, it's very simple!
Rob, I don't mean that you are good or bad at all. When you provide your respond in time and it helps - I'm glad, when you disappear - I'm not. Whether we like it or not, but it will always be. As for me there are 2 main reasons for great number of my questions: different bugs or no public information, which I can find to work with. So, that's why you should provide necessary support by consulting here, on server or whatever. If you want - let's discuss it later.

I waited your responds too long here about published problems, and don't want to loose this opportunity to get your answers! Let's finish with Fabrik's problems and then we can come back to our discussion here or on skype. Please tell me what is going on with prefilter, and what should I do with your facebook comment to work properly.

I'm in the middle of moving house, so things are moving a little slowly on the forums at the moment, but we will get your issues resolved.

I'm about to take a look at this issue again now.

-- hugh

BTW, I just wanted to make something clear with regards to the Facebook comment element not "working properly". The element only didn't work "properly" because it didn't behave in the way you expected it to behave. It behaved perfectly, the way it was designed and written to behave.

I am working on providing additional functionality, to your specific requirements, not fixing a bug. When adding new functionality and changing the way a plugin works, it sometimes takes a few iterations of changes and testing to get the new code working just right, and can take time.

-- hugh

OK, I've added a locale setting to the element, which works.

See this screencast for a demo of the element working as expected on my test server. Note that at the end, where I show the Facebook comment, I don't click on the link because my server is on a private network, but you can see that the link is correct.

http://www.screencast.com/t/hCfyQHUSwEeH

I've had to add a couple of new ru_RU translation phrases for the new option, as usual you can translate them and let me know what they need to be.

PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_LOCALE_DESC="Locale for language, using standard ISO naming, like en_GB or ru_RU. Default is en_US. Full list of supported locales is available as an XML file from Facebook, at https://www.facebook.com/translations/FacebookLocales.xml"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_LOCALE_LABEL="Locale"

-- hugh

I see your added comment and my comment as well. So, it looks like main problem is solved, thank you!
and translations for you:
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_LOCALE_DESC="??? ??????????? ?? ????? ????? ??????????? ??? ??????????? ??????, ???????? en_GB ??? ??????????? ??? ru_RU ??? ????????. ?? ????????? ?????????? en_US. ?????? ???????? ?????????????? ?????? ???????? ??? XML ???? Facebook ?? ?????? https://www.facebook.com/translations/FacebookLocales.xml"
PLG_ELEMENT_FBCOMMENT_LOCALE_LABEL="??????????? ?????"

well, I close this thread

Glad it's working for you.

I've committed those language changes to github, they'll be there next time you update.

-- hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back