Form email plugin problems

APursch

I wouldn't be bothering you guys but I've tried everything I can think of.
Getting "Could not send email to ###@###" message on form save.
It's saving the form data fine, the Joomla email system is working fine, there are no debug (maximum) warnings at all, nothing apparent in developer tools and the email does not fire!
Running J4.32 F4 Delta PHP 8.1.21
Where do I look next ?

I can't see an issue.

How do you create the email, hardcoded, placeholder (if placeholder use _raw, otherwise it may be a formatted link), Email to?
Is is a valid email address?

Thanks T, yes, all those things. I've set it all as simple as possible with plain and real email address, nothing complex.
I'm just going to try a plain echo Hello World php file to see if that changes anything. Will revert either way.

Last edited:
Thanks T, yes, all those things. I've set it all as simple as possible with plain and real email address, nothing complex.
I'm just going to try a plain echo Hello World php file to see if that changes anything. Will revert either way.

Wishful thinking, no, that didn't help at all :(

You should have an entry with type = 'fabrik.form.email.error' in #__fabrik_log

I'm not able to replicate an error so I don't get such a log, it was only from the code.
Let me try to fake the code to force a log entry (I assume this has never been tested).

I can't replicate.
In case of an error and even only warnings (about wrong ReplyTo etc) there's an entry in #_fabrik_log on my site.

Is this an original J!4 Fabrik Delta site or an upgraded Fabrik3 one?
What are your J! mailing settings (php, sendmail, SMTP)?
What are your email plugin settings: from, reply etc?

Is it with all forms or only a special one?

Correct Fabrik connection?

Last edited:
I can't replicate.
In case of an error and even only warnings (about wrong ReplyTo etc) there's an entry in #_fabrik_log on my site.

Is this an original J!4 Fabrik Delta site or an upgraded Fabrik3 one?
What are your J! mailing settings (php, sendmail, SMTP)?
What are your email plugin settings: from, reply etc?

Is it with all forms or only a special one?

Correct Fabrik connection?

It's a clean install of J4 and F4 Delta - all works correctly with identical form and email, etc in J3F3.
Set to use php mail - tested and working.
from and reply using same email address as system php mail and only one, no placeholders.
I've applied an email plugin to another form, all very simple settings as above, no attachments, conditions or anything and similar result - Einstein was right.
Cleared cache everywhere, still no good.

In the Fabrik Wiki, regarding the form, email plugin, there is a note: -
upload_2023-7-7_9-55-40.png

To what extent does that still apply, none of the services are free anymore, are there others that might be used and what is the current thinking with all this?

Setting up a proper SMTP mailing should do also.

Does a new user get J! mail (with an email address outside your site domain)? (The J! test mail is only going to the "sender" mail which may not cover all possible issues)

believed those to be resolved
Just re-reading the other thread. It sounds very hacky.
I would try to get a simple, clean J!4 + Fabrik installation somewhere, without any hacks and unzips and reloads and...

Setting up a proper SMTP mailing should do also.

Does a new user get J! mail (with an email address outside your site domain)? (The J! test mail is only going to the "sender" mail which may not cover all possible issues)

Just re-reading the other thread. It sounds very hacky.
I would try to get a simple, clean J!4 + Fabrik installation somewhere, without any hacks and unzips and reloads and...

It seems our messages crossed - great minds and all that.
As re the hacks etc, no I got a proper install in the end after a few tweaks and all other working fine.
Again, thanks for your help.

So, it is working BUT: if I use an email other than the site email in the from field, the plugin fails to send.
If I use the site email address in the from field, it's all too easy for unknowing recipients to reply to that address - not a good thing as their message will miss the department dealing with the form's content.
That was never a problem in F3, what's changed ?

Your "From" email must "fit" to your SMTP account (you may to add SPF and/or DKIM to allow sending from an other email address).
This is all Joomla (resp. security against spamming by faking sender email address etc).
If you don't set up a proper emailing your mails will end in spam folders or quarantine even if sent by Joomla.

But you can add a "Reply to", so any answer via "Reply" will go to this address.

Your "From" email must "fit" to your SMTP account (you may to add SPF and/or DKIM to allow sending from an other email address).
This is all Joomla (resp. security against spamming by faking sender email address etc).
If you don't set up a proper emailing your mails will end in spam folders or quarantine even if sent by Joomla.
But you can add a "Reply to", so any answer via "Reply" will go to this address.

Yes, I already had a reply to address and that was fine, as far as it goes; the problem being that the site address was available and could be used if the recipient didn't use the conventional method of replying.
But no matter, I created a new email address on the site's domain to catch any such behaviour that diverts messages to the correct and proper department email. All's well again.

Just that pesky Fabrik log table. :confused:

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back