Repeat Group Difficulties

Hi

Not entily sure if I got your problem - and I only can offer a workaround:

I encountered similar difficulties which most of the time have less to do with Fabrik but more with my data structure. If the repeated group get too complex (with cascading dropdowns or calculation referring to other tables) I often "upgrade" it to a full table. I know that technically it is that already. Then I integrate the child table view with a display element and the Fabrik plugin into the details view of the parent table. You can filter the plugin for the id of the parent record. Then I configure the add link of the child table so that it transfers the parent_id when opening a new record (and other values too, if you wish). You then need to make sure that the child table view is not displayed in the parent form view because the add button of the child table will work properly. A form within a form is not possible.

This sounds complicated and it probably is but it allows for the full features of a stand-alone talbe whereas the repeat group is more limited. Also, I experienced that it helps uses to understand the data structure and follows the work processes more closely. For example: The parent talbe contains people with some issues that are followed by a social worker. The parent table then contains only the basic bio and contact data. The child table, however, trackst the daily/weekly interactions. For some users it is confusing to have to open the parent from to be able to add a new interaction via a repeat group. In my system, an entry in the child table is only possible in the details view of a particular person.

Cheers
L

I was wondering... do are you using pre set database tables, or building it from scratch in Fabrik??
Sometimes you need to setup database tables before adding list to fabrik. If you use repeated groups, it really depends on what you wanna do.
You can setup for example 3 tables, table_1(Id, name, message) table_2(Id, Table_1_Id, email) table_3(Id, Table_1_Id, Phone)
You can add 3 lists in fabrik, but you can also setup 1 list with one or more table joins in the list settings.
You can also use a combination, 2 lists in fabrik, with one of them a table join. Its just a matter of creativity.

Hi

Not entily sure if I got your problem - and I only can offer a workaround:

I encountered similar difficulties which most of the time have less to do with Fabrik but more with my data structure. If the repeated group get too complex (with cascading dropdowns or calculation referring to other tables) I often "upgrade" it to a full table. I know that technically it is that already. Then I integrate the child table view with a display element and the Fabrik plugin into the details view of the parent table. You can filter the plugin for the id of the parent record. Then I configure the add link of the child table so that it transfers the parent_id when opening a new record (and other values too, if you wish). You then need to make sure that the child table view is not displayed in the parent form view because the add button of the child table will work properly. A form within a form is not possible.

This sounds complicated and it probably is but it allows for the full features of a stand-alone talbe whereas the repeat group is more limited. Also, I experienced that it helps uses to understand the data structure and follows the work processes more closely. For example: The parent talbe contains people with some issues that are followed by a social worker. The parent table then contains only the basic bio and contact data. The child table, however, trackst the daily/weekly interactions. For some users it is confusing to have to open the parent from to be able to add a new interaction via a repeat group. In my system, an entry in the child table is only possible in the details view of a particular person.

Cheers
L

There is no any fancy stuff here. No cascading, no calculations.
All tables are created by fabrik.
I think i cant use your sugestion in my case, but i will kepp it in mind. Thank You

I have table _1 representing Projects ( Id, Name ) and table_2 representing Stages (Id, Project_Id, Name, IsActive).
Opening Project Form from where i see all stages and its IsActive status (YesNo). And i can add new Stage there but in this moment, Fabrics change IsActive state on second Stage. When I save, and open it again i can change IsActive states corectly, its changes only expected element.

Workaround would be creating new Stage from list view, but i wild like to disable option for adding new group in Project Form, as it not working there.

Great tool, but repeatedgroup have some limitations.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Staff online

Members online

Back