(SOLVED) Update field in another table on form submission

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbeley

I have this Contract list.
The Contract form is only an ID, a date, and a DB join to another form called Employment
The Employment form has a DB join to Candidates and Offers

When user submits one Contract, I want to update candidates__jobstatus to "Employed"

I've looked at the documentation (common PHP tasks) and forum, but I really can't figure out the syntax.
I don't know how to retrieve information from the form I just submitted.

Please help!
Thanks,
Mathieu

Which table is 'offers'? Is that the "Employment" form/list?

If you could summarize your table structure a little more accurately, I'll give you the code you need to run in a PHP form plugin.

I tried to use your My Sites info to login to your site to get the details I need, but it tells me that user doesn't exist.

-- hugh

I re-published your super user account (the one that's in My Sites).
But it may be a bit confusing. In this thread, I translated all the table names in English to make it easier for you.
Here it is with the Portuguese names:

Candidatos is the candidate list, Empregos is the job offer list
Emprego is the place where the user assigns one offer to one candidate.
Under Emprego, users can submit a Contracto (if the candidate gets the job).

Contracto has a database join Element: Emprego where contracto_emprego = emprego__id
Employment has a database join Element: Candidato where emprego__candidato = candidatos__id
Employment has a database join Element: Oferta where emprego__oferta = empregos__id

OK, I'm in on the backend, and have a better idea of what the query needs to be ... but ... can you rewrite your "pseudo query" form the original post, using the actual table and field names? So I can sanity check and make sure I give you the right query? Much easier if I give you a query you can copy and paste, rather than changing names, which introduces a layer of potential errors.

-- hugh

I will have to write several of these anyway, so I will need to fiddle with them.

Below is the query I was describing.
"contracto" is the table that's being submitted.

$query= UPDATE candidatos JOIN emprego ON emprego.candidato = candidatos.id JOIN empregos ON emprego.oferta = empregos.id SET candidatos.situacao_laboral="Colocado" WHERE contracto.emprego=emprego.id AND contracto.resultado="Sim"

Thanks,
Mathieu

Hugh, sounds like you forgot me on this one!

Another thread that happened in the meantime (http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?threads/fabrik-fields-to-variables-php.38504/) helped me make progress (or at least I believe so).

I am now using the following query, but it's not doing anything (not even generating any error, which surprises me):

PHP:
$db = JFactory::getDbo();
$emprego = $formModel->getElementData('contract___emprego', true);
$resultado = $formModel->getElementData('contract___resultado', true);
$query = $db->getQuery(true);
$query= UPDATE candidatos JOIN emprego ON emprego.candidato = candidatos.id JOIN empregos ON emprego.oferta = empregos.id SET candidatos.estatuto="Colocado" WHERE $emprego=emprego.id AND $resultado="Colocado"
$db->setQuery($query);
$found = (int) $db->execute();

The query must be a string to be valid PHP.
$query= "UPDATE candidatos JOIN emprego ON emprego.candidato = candidatos.id JOIN empregos ON emprego.oferta = empregos.id SET candidatos.estatuto='Colocado' WHERE $emprego=emprego.id AND $resultado='Colocado'";

But better use the recent syntax
http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/common-php-tasks/#update

To get error messages set Joomla error reporting to maximum.

Thank you for your help Troester.
I simplified my query a bit, in order to figure out the syntax first (and later on I can re-add more joins or more conditions).
I'm having it run onBeforeCalculations

My query is now:
PHP:
$query= "UPDATE candidatos JOIN emprego ON emprego.candidato = candidatos.id SET candidatos.estatuto=$resultado WHERE $emprego=emprego.id";
$db->setQuery($query);
$db->execute();

I get the following error: (note how the variables have disapeared)
SQL=UPDATE candidatos JOIN emprego ON emprego.candidato = candidatos.id SET candidatos.estatuto= WHERE =emprego.id

I just noticed (from an old post at http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?threads/updating-a-field-on-a-different-db-table.27195/ ) that the syntax for variables should be '$variable' instead of $variable

So I have the following query:
PHP:
$query= "UPDATE candidatos JOIN emprego ON emprego.candidato = candidatos.id SET candidatos.estatuto = '$resultado' WHERE emprego.id = '$emprego'";
$db->setQuery($query);
$db->execute();

This time I do not get an error message (BTW Joomla error reporting was already on max since the beginning of this thread)
But still the update I want does not happen.

For debugging add
var_dump($emprego,$resultado,$query);exit;
before $db->setQuery($query);

This will show you the variables.

OK I went back to the query that does not return an error message, and added the debugging line
I'm getting this:
string(0) "" string(0) "" string(118) "UPDATE candidatos JOIN emprego ON emprego.candidato = candidatos.id SET candidatos.estatuto = '' WHERE emprego.id = ''"

It looks like the 2 variables that I'm retrieving from the submitted form are empty.

Which is strange, since:
- contract___emprego is a database join that's automatically filled by a "related table" add button
- contract___resultado is a mandatory field

Below is the list view of the record I created (the same event that showed the empty variables)

Capture d’écran 2014-05-15 à 16.48.42.png

I'm trying to use placeholders instead of getelementdata

PHP:
$emprego = '{contract___emprego}'; 
$resultado = '{contract___resultado}';
$query= "UPDATE candidatos JOIN emprego ON emprego.candidato = candidatos.id SET candidatos.estatuto = '$resultado' WHERE emprego.id = '$emprego'";
$db->setQuery($query);
$db->execute();

Again no error message
In debugging mode I'm getting:
string(20) "{contract___emprego}" string(22) "{contract___resultado}" string(160) "UPDATE candidatos JOIN emprego ON emprego.candidato = candidatos.id SET candidatos.estatuto = '{contract___resultado}' WHERE emprego.id = '{contract___emprego}'"

As long as $emprego is empty or does contain an "unreplaced" placeholder the query can't work.
Where are you running this code? In a php form plugin?
Can you post a screenshot of your settings?

$x='{table___element}';
$y=$formModel->getElementData('table___element', true);
are both working on my site with your settings (i.e. the var_dump is showing the text of the form field).
Are contract___emprego and contract___resultado full element names belonging to the form with this php plugin?

The form is contracto and I was using contract! Silly me!
Anyway thanks a lot for your help, Troester!
Now I feel that I understand the syntax and will be able to make my project happen!

In the end I'm using the following query:
PHP:
$emprego = '{contracto___emprego}'; 
$resultado = '{contracto___resultado}';
$query= "UPDATE candidatos JOIN emprego ON emprego.candidato = candidatos.id SET candidatos.estatuto = '$resultado' WHERE emprego.id = '$emprego' ";
$db->setQuery($query);
$db->execute();
Should I try and use the recent syntax instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back