Blank Screen gone! Yippeee

jasellyn

Ok, first of all thanks to Graylan and Allen for helping this old lady cross the street! :D

I went ahead and FINALLY read the "read me first" post by Rob :p THEN I thought...hmmm, I don't HAVE a php.ini file in my root directory. So I created one and placed the display_errors = on tag only in there.

IT WORKS!! PERFECTLY!! It updates, edits, adds and everything perfectly now returning to the correct page. Boy do I feel like a dummy--I can't believe I didn't read that first. DUH.

Thank you thank you thank you! And thanks for such a great app!

Ellyn (jasellyn)

Can anyone point out where to find this "read me first" post by Rob? I can't find it, nor does a search bring it up.

Thanks! :)

Ok, first of all thanks to Graylan and Allen for helping this old lady cross the street! :D
I went ahead and FINALLY read the "read me first" post by Rob :p THEN I thought...hmmm, I don't HAVE a php.ini file in my root directory. So I created one and placed the display_errors = on tag only in there.
IT WORKS!! PERFECTLY!! It updates, edits, adds and everything perfectly now returning to the correct page. Boy do I feel like a dummy--I can't believe I didn't read that first. DUH.
Thank you thank you thank you! And thanks for such a great app!
Ellyn (jasellyn)

Joomla asks for error_reporting and display_errors to be off.... so... what's up? Fabrik requires that they be ON?

I'm getting blank screens on about half the admin page... when I try to edit a table, for example...

No, we don't require it. But as with any PHP app, if you get blank pages, there's obviously an error, so it helps to enable error reporting so you can get some clues. We know this stuff works (with many thousands of Fabrik users, the forums would be swamped with complaints if basic stuff like the admin interface didn't work), so it's pretty much always a case of tracking down an installation booboo, or a conflict with another component.

Sounds like you probably have some JavaScript issues rather than PHP issues, given that only some of your page content is affected. If you aren't already using them, try switching to the default Joomla backend template, and the standard TinyMCE editor.

If that doesn't fix it, fire up FireFox with FireBug installed, and see if it complains about JavaScript errors.

-- hugh

I'm getting blank screens on about half the admin page... when I try to edit a table, for example...

I was having the same problems. I'm using fabrik 2.0b on J! 1.5.3. If you're doing the same you might want to read on. The problems were not related to Javascript problems.

I had originally installed from the zip file. The recommendation, nay, requirement, is that you download and install from the SVN repository. There were several files that had some problems mostly related to compatibility differences between PHP4 and PHP5.

After I got through setting up and SVN client app and followed the instructions to upload the updated files to my installation all is working well.

Earl

Back