email sending problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikmac

Hi,

Using a php mail function (format: mail($mail, $subject, $message, $headers); in a form submit script.
So when the form is submitted it sends an email.

This ONLY arrives when it is send to an address in the same domain as where the joomla system is installed on. But to any other address it does not arrive.

I have tried all 3 mail sending options (php mail, sendmail and smtp), all with the same result.

Does this sound familiar to anybody, what could be wrongly configured?

It really doesn't sound like a Fabrik (or even Joomla!) issue, it sounds more like an issue with the outbound mail setup on your host.

Do you have a shared or VPS/dedicated account? If you have a VPS/dedicated, you should be able to look at your mail log (if you are using the 'sendmail' method), and figure out what is going on. They will typically be in /var/log/maillog.

Do you use email anywhere else on your J! site, like for account confirmation? And if so, do they get through? If they do, what address are the "From"? It is possible that your are using a "From" address on your Fabrik mail which your host doesn't like for some reason ... although they should relay anything that comes from your machine (based on your IP address being within their network) sometimes the "From" address you use has to be for a domain name hosted within your site.

So, for instance, if you are using an address supplied by the user on your form (or the address configured on the J! account) as the "From" address in Fabrik, and those addresses are external to your site, your host *may* not like that (it thinks someone is trying to send spam via your server).

-- hugh

You may be right.
When setting a confirmation receipt (other domain) address in any form it arrives OK, but the form also has a proper from-address filled out.

I can't access the maillog file on that server (or I found the wrong one).

But I noticed that when looking in the php settings in the joomla back end that 'sendmail_from' has NO VALUE. I couldn't find the php.ini file. Is there a way to set the sendmail_from in the core files?

I also tried to add ini_set("sendmail_from", "validaddress@mydomain.co.nz"); to the script to force that setting.

When using the 'receipt' plugin, I think we default to using whatever you have defined in the J! Global settings for the 'email from'.

When using the 'email' plugin, you can specify whatever you want (either a static address string, or a {placeholder} for a form element).

-- hugh

It is sorted. The provider basicly blocked the emails due to insecure php scripts being attached by spammers.

He now has made changes to the way Apache allows scripts to send emails, and yippy, they now arrive also outside the clients domain.

So it had nothing to do with Fabrik or Joomla. Apologies I bothered you with this. Should have contacted the hosting provider first.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back