Fabrik 2.0b 2 php version?

PixelRustler

Which version(s) of php should Fabrik 2.0b 2 be used with please? Can't seem to find a reference to this on the site.

I had various issues using Fabrik 2.0b 2 on a php version 4.4.1 powered test site, but it works great on my php 5.2.6 setup.

Well, it looks like we're dropping support for PHP4 in Fabrik 2.0.

Rob and I discussed this last week, and it's just too much a pain in the backside to keep supporting PHP4. We've tried to keep it PHP4 friendly, but it's just becoming more and more difficult to develop, maintain and test two major versions of Fabrik in two versions of PHP

We'll probably continue to support PHP4 for Fabrik 1.0 for at least the rest of this year (until PHP4 is officially totally killed off on 12/31/2008).

-- hugh

Yeah, I can understand that.

Unfortunately, my ISP only uses PHP 4.4.1 right now and has no immediate plans to change :(
As changing ISP is a pain I shall have to drop fabric, which is a real shame.

Good luck with the project. I hope to return to it if my platform changes for the better.

Wish we could give you what you need, but two people working part time can only achieve so much.

FYI, as of the end of this year, PHP4 is officially totally dead - no more bug fixes or maintenance releases, it's being officially deprecated by the PHP authors. It's already end-of-lifed as of Jan 1st this year, and only serious bugs / security issues are being fixed this year.

In other words, you should probably ask your ISP if they intend to upgrade, or offer PHP5, by the end of the year. And if not, why are they planning on trying to support a dead language?

Yes, there will obviously be legacy requirements for some time to come, but all ISP's should be offering the choice of using PHP5 by now.

-- hugh

I hear you on the php upgrade thing. The indifference of my ISP was a real eye opener for me.

Can you recommend / suggest any good hosting ISP for Joomla based sites please? I think I'm going to bite the bullet and switch.

Personally I like liquidweb.com. Not specifically a Joomla hosting outfit, but they provide CPanel with one-click installs for Joomla and a bunch of other packages. Support is awesome (live support, 24*7*365), bandwidth is good, and they don't overload their shared servers.

Fabrikar.com actually runs on a Liquid Web VPS.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back