Fabrik Capabilities/Projects Feasibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffry

Hello,

First of all, from my initial perspective, Fabrik quite amazing. Great job to the team! And the community is active, too.

Before I sign up for a subscription and invest my time into learning Fabrik, I am trying to understand whether or not Fabrik has the capabilities to achieve the following application model.
Consider a typical database as presented in the following schema:
ClassicModelsDBSchema.jpg

Is possible to model this scenario with typical functionality? So that, for example,
  • Link the Customers form to view all orders?
  • When viewing the Orders form, also view the related Order details?
  • When creating a new Order, add arbitrary new Order Details rows with look up from the Products table?
Is this type of application beyond the scope of Fabrik's capabilities?

Thank you for your feedback.

Jeffry

I would say yes, though it is hard to check where the lower tables react / act with the above ones.
But at the end from what i can say is that as long as you can "MySQL query something", you can do it with Fabrik - i would say.
Now let the others throw their stones after me!

OrderDetails has a two-field primary key - not sure that Fabrik can do that.

Troester is also asking whether Fabrik can do non-integer primary keys.

We will get back to you on these.

As Sophist pointed out, we don't support support composite PK's. At the moment, we only support simple integer PK's.

It looks like you are using Innodb, so also be warned that we don't support FK constraints. Or at least, if an Innodb FK constraint kicks in and prevent a query from running, Fabrik will barf.

But with those caveats, your basic structure / app looks do-able.

-- hugh

Answer from the fabrik developers (with some input from me):

1. Since you are using Fabrik 3.1, non integer primary keys should be OK. If you find that you have a problem with these, please open a new thread in this forum for help.

2. You cannot use compound primary keys in Fabrik, so you cannot use the OrderDetails or Payments tables exactly as shown. You could try using a calc field which concatenates the two key fields as a primary key (though you will need to try this to be absolutely certain that it will work).

Good luck - please don't hesitate to ask for further help if you get stuck (having tried everything you can think of) or if you find a bug.

S

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone.

I will do some testing and development. Look forward to discovering Fabrik capabilities.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back