Frontend validation ONLY works on Form module(Fabrik 3.6) when logged-in as a Super User?

Just upgraded to 3.7, same issue: Form Module can work properly when updating fields without any added validation(Not empty/isEmail/...) under regular user groups. But when fields are added with validation, only Super User can see the form and its validation error shown up properly when submitted, while any other user groups will see the form just disappeared along with its validation error message when submitted?! Weird?

I can't replicate.
What are you module settings' (Ajaxfied yes/no)
What are your form settings, plugins...?
Which Joomla template?

I can't replicate this either. The form module works fine with validations, regardless of logged on user.

-- hugh

After a few more testing, I began to get a hint on how it happened: under normal usage of the Form Module, you are right, it works as expected, the issue can't be replicated. Here is the my usage of the Form Module: I used it to update joomla users table for logged-in user, so each logged-in user can ONLY update his/her own account information using Fabrik Form Module(by setting Row id(-1)/use key(id)/Ajaxify(No)), he or she doesn't has Add records Access permission on the users list(only given Edit records or use field(id) under Lists -> Access tab of the users list), also enable Ajax validation under Forms -> users(Form processing tab)/ Toggle Submit(No). So the issue can be duplicated when you tried to add any extra field to the users list and attach a validation rule to it, you can try to violate the validation rule(for example: be empty on NotEmpty rule) on the field when update(edit) your user information using Form Module and submit it(fyi: I just want to use the Form Module for each logged-in user to update his/her user information, I don't want logged-in user to add any new records on the list, I don't know how to achieve this). After submitted, the Form Module for the users form simply just disappear which I believe somehow after validation failure and submission the Form Module rendered(switched) itself into the "Add New Record" mode from the previous "Edit mode"(by totally ignoring the setting of Row id(-1)!!??), because the logged-in user doesn't have Add Records permission which can explain why the Form Module's disappearance from the interface after the validation(also the disappearance will sustain even after refresh the webpage, the form will only shown up again after logged-out and logged back in again, it seemed got stuck on the Add New record mode after validation error/submission if logged in as non-Super Users). Can this be treated as bug? -- for its behaviours(Edit vs Add) are different (Before vs After) validation failure/submission. Hope I make my case clear and understandable. Thanks, -Rick

Last edited:
Yes, confirmed.
It seems rowid=-1 resp. usekey is not working at the moment, same with form menu.

It's loading the correct record from the logged in user
but it seems trying to save a new record instead of updating the existing one.

My test form (in a form menu item with rowid=-1) is a form with jUser form plugin, on save it's failing with Username/email already in use, password missing...

If I insert the real userId as rowid it's the same: record loaded correctly but not updating but inserting.
So the problem seems not to be the -1 but the usekey.

Editing the form coming from list view is working as expected.

Last edited:
Ok, after playing around including saving my list with different access settings I'm not longer able to replicate the issue with the form menu.

It seems the issue is with form module and a form with jUser plugin:

It's ok if you set the real row id (and no usekey): correct record is loaded, modified record is saved, BUT the modul is showing an empty record after save although list "Add" is set to nobody.

With rowid -1 (or a hardcoded userid) and key = userid-element it's loading the correct record but on save it's running the jUser validations (xy does already exist)

Thanks Troester, after I tried out the seem-not-necessary-related-solution on thread: http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.ph...iled-fields-with-changes-lost-it-value.47073/ , As Hugh suggested I enabled the "Save part edited records" option on the users Form (Form processing tab) using either: "Only logged in users" or "Everyone", this option somehow miraculously get rid of the validation issue I was battling for quite a while!! Not sure why this option matters in my case, and how it mysteriously solves the issue?! - so far I am happy with its result(which makes the Form Module stays in"Edit Mode" after validation failure and also gets rid of the disappearance issue as well!

One more side reporting: I found out "Toggle Submit" option under Form processing tab is not reliable at all in scenarios where you have multiple validation fields on the Form Module: the Submit button won't stay on disabled state when still have validation error on some fields, you can duplicate the issue when you toggle/switch their values around between with these validation fields on the webpage, now I have to disable it( with No option) until the issue get fixed.

fyi: I am running the latest Joomla ver 3.7.4

Thanks for all the help! Cheers!
-Rick

Last edited:
Yup, the "Toggle submit" is "work in progress". I added it as a feature for a specific project, and it does what I needed for that. It'll get worked on some more when I run across a paying project that needs it.

So where are we at with the main issue in this thread? Did setting "save part edited records" solve the problem?

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back