Hide Add

automan25

I would like to be able to hide the add button for some views of a list and not others. Is there a way to do this for Fabrik List menu items?

It isn't an option for the menu, but you can copy the list, turn off the Add button in that, and use that copy for your menu item.

-- hugh

Hmmm. Okay. Thanks. I'll have to consider that for my setup. Being able to hide the add button at the menu item level would be a nice addition.

You are the first person ever to ask for that feature. When it comes to adding new options, our rule of thumb is we add it if 80% of our users would find it useful.

The whole point of being able to copy lists is so you can configure different "views" onto the same data. The menu setting overrides are just a convenience for overriding some of the most common settings on a per-menu basis, like pre-filters, which elements you display, etc. For "fine grain" stuff like hiding or showing specific buttons or menus, list copying is what you need.

Just to be clear, a copy of a list still sits on top of the same underlying table, operating on the same data. It just gives you a separate collection of list / form / group(s) / elements that you can configure differently.

-- hugh

[/quote]I hear you. You can't add every feature ever requested. 80% is a good rule of thumb for sure. I guess I'll have to start thinking of lists differently then and not be afraid to make a copy if the situation warrants it. I'm just hesitant to make too many though for risk of over-complicating my application.[/quote]

It doesn't really over complicate it. Just think of it as different views onto the same data. Yes, you wind up with more objects in the backend pages, but that's why we provide filters.

Note that when you copy lists, the elements in the copy start of "linked" to the original, so they inherit all their settings from the original. You can opt to unlink individual elements and configure them separately. And if you add an element to the original, it gets added to the copies (although it gets added to the first, default group (the one containing the PK) on the copy, as there's no guarrantee your group structure will be the same on the copies).

-- hugh

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try to hide the Add button via CSS.
Depending on your Joomla template the page source should contain the menu item id somewhere.
Something like
.itemid-454 .addbutton {display:none;}

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back