How to display text

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhertz

We are trying to display the logged in Joomla users name at the top of a form. We have tried created an element for the form as follows:
1. Elements
2. New
3. Element Type - display text
4. Eval this text - checked
No additional fields are displayed, so we don't know where to post the php code? In the form?

also tried:
1. Elements
2. New
3. Element Type - Text field
4. Default value:
global $my;
return $my->email;
4. Eval - checked
This displays the element name followed by a text field

Where do we put the php code to get the display text to appear on the form?

You should be able to use the second technique you specified, and set the element to Read Only (radio button, bottom left of element admin page).

You can use $my->username instead of $my->email if you want the username.

-- hugh

Hugh,

Do you know if we would have to do anything differently if we are using Community Builder and if the data is in jos_comprofiler?

Tried the following in the Default text box in fabrik:
global $my;
return $my->firstname;

with settings:
Element Type - text field
Hidden - checked and unchecked
Eval - checked
Read ony - checked

also tried default text:
global $my;
return $my->user_id;

Yes, it does make a difference ... the basic Joomla details in $my don't include things like first_name.

I've gotten enough questions about Community Builder integration that I'm finally going to give in and install it. I'll get back to you as soon as possible with a way for you to do what you need.

-- hugh

Thanks Hugh.

Sorry to put more pressure on you. You have a very good product here. We intend to be using it on at least two Joomla sites right away. Built in Community Builder integration will be extremely useful.

We are happy to support your effort in any way we can. Should we be paying for each instance of Fabrik?or upgrading our subscription in some way?

Well, first off - thanks for the consideration! It's not often we get folk who appreciate the economics of the situation, and willingly offer to pay more.

There is no requirement to get multiple subscriptions for multiple sites, although if you want to donate some more drinking vouchers to the cause, it would be greatly appreciated. We've discussed having a Donate button somewhere on these pages, and will probably go ahead and do it soon, as a short term measure.

The other thing we've been discussing is a Premium Support forum. At the moment, we pretty much attempt to answer all questions, including helping people with actual coding of custom JavaScript, PHP and templates. And of course the "PM me a login" type stuff, sorting out pilot error, or other issues which go above and beyond basic "how to" and bug fixing.

But we're at the point that we just can't continue that level of support for the basic Subscription service. One knotty JavaScript issue can take several hours to sort out, which (even at the absolute minimum hourly nut Rob and myself need to make to survive) exhausts a single annual Subscription fee. Heck, just logging in to someones site and fixing some basic setup mistake can take half an hour or more, especially when dealing with foreign language sites on slow connections (just navigating a foreign language site tends to get very frustrating for me, having no natural language skills beyond basic English!).

So we're currently hammering some ideas out on how we can provide a Premium level of service, at a cost that won't bankrupt our users, but allows us to pay our rent and put food on the table.

It will most likely be a monthly subscription rather than annual, pitched at folk who are either a) working on a specific (and non-trivial) implementation and need a higher level of support in the short term, or b) developers who use Fabrik to do contract work for multiple clients, and/or themselves run multiple sites, who would otherwise exceed any kind of 'reasonable use / single site' policy on the basic Subscription.

If you have any suggestions or thoughts on this, we'd love to hear them.

I suspect that whatever we do won't be popular, as it will reduce the level of support we provide for free and for the basic Subscription. But I think most folk will realize that we simply can't continue the way we are and expect to survive, even with the best will in the world.

-- hugh

I haven't played with Fab 1.0 in awhile, but I can confirm that using a "user" element in Fab 2.0 AND community builder does, in fact, populate the field with the username (or whatever you set it to..first name, et al).

I forget; does Fabrik 1.0.x have a "user" element?

So CB adds it's profile "stuff" to $my (or the J! 1.5 equiv)?

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing ...

I'll know more when I get CB installed some time this weekend.

-- hugh

I suspect that whatever we do won't be popular, as it will reduce the level of support we provide for free and for the basic Subscription. But I think most folk will realize that we simply can't continue the way we are and expect to survive, even with the best will in the world.

-- hugh

For support on the basic subscription you can encourage other Farbik users try and provide solutions..For every 3 or so successful solutions they give to a post they automatically earn 1 premium support ticket for them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back