How to set Dbjoin to use Label from Repeat Group Parent?

margarizaldi

Hi, I have a form with two groups:
  1. Goup for the form itself with several elements including `Name` field (say: `table___name`).
  2. Repeat group which (I was surprised that) its data is stored in different table (`table_30_repeat`).
    This repeatable group contains dropdown element named "Options" (`table_30_repeat___options`), parent id, and id.

Then I made another form with a databasejoin element (`table2___option_A`).
This dbjoin field must populate users' Name who selected "Option A" from `table_30_repeat___options`.
(Later I will also created the same field for the "Option B" etc. with the same way)

Is it right for me to connect the dbjoin to `table_30_repeat`?
  • If yes, how to use the Name (`table___name`) as the label (doesn't matter for the value, either the name or table2___id)? The repeat group only contains `parent_id` to identify the parent data.
  • If not, how is the solution? Do I need to connect dbjoin to the `table` instead? But how to make the WHERE statement?
Cheers.

Think of repeat groups as one-to-many relational tables. That's what "repeated" data is, in a database. A "parent" table with a one-to-many relationship with a "child" table.

http://www.databaseprimer.com/pages/relationship_1tox/

To do what you need, you can use a "CONCAT label" on the join on table2, with a subquery to get the name from the original table, like ...

(SELECT name FROM table WHERE table.id = {thistable}.parent_id)

-- hugh

Think of repeat groups as one-to-many relational tables. That's what "repeated" data is, in a database. A "parent" table with a one-to-many relationship with a "child" table.

http://www.databaseprimer.com/pages/relationship_1tox/

To do what you need, you can use a "CONCAT label" on the join on table2, with a subquery to get the name from the original table, like ...

(SELECT name FROM table WHERE table.id = {thistable}.parent_id)

-- hugh

Wonderful, works perfectly. Thanks much.

Anyway, how about the user filter (user_id = '{$my->id}') ??
Now I've added a new user element in the repeat group and it works with Update on edit = Yes, but is it good idea? Can I include the filter in the WHERE statement?

Now I've added a new user element in the repeat group and it works with Update on edit = Yes
FYI: I set all user elements in the other forms as No for Update on edit. I think I need this so that when the administrator needs to edit the list data, he doesn't change the user id.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back