It is tooo freaking complicated! How to create tabs?

XXX-BIT

Hello @all,

Using:
Joomla 3.2.0
Fabrikar 3.1 rc2
Testsite / Form:
http://ma24-1.mcm-swiss.net/index.php?option=com_fabrik&view=form&formid=9&Itemid=516&lang=de

It seems I am doing everything wrong!
(see as well http://www.fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?threads/cant-delete-element.36902/#post-185371 for your amusement)

What I would like to achive: http://awesomescreenshot.com/06622gpj26

Seems easy, isn't it? Ok, it's not!

I would like to have every tab as an own DB table, not everything together in one pile.

What I did:

- Create Lists for each table
- Create Froms for each table
- Create Groups for each table
- I linked the elements to the corresponding group (so element A to group 1 / element B to group 2 etc.)
- I created a menu link to a form (as of lack linking to a group)

And what I get is just not that what I want... I am ending up with the site showing the form which I linked to the menu.

Really some help aprreciated here, loosing hours just to form a group? Where is the corresponding tutorial which fits this version 3.1? May I get, for the 20 Euro per month use a ticket system? Am I alone with those problems?

To get tabs is simple:
create a list (this will create a form + one group with the same name)
create additional groups belonging to the form
create elements assigned to the groups
select "bootstrap-tabs" as "Template" and "Details view" in form's "Layout" settings and every group will get it's own tab in form view and details view (you may have to update from GitHub to get the bootstrap-tabs template)

But I'm not sure what you are trying to do and what you think Fabrik is doing:
the priciple is (ignoring things like joined lists or repeated groups for the moment)
database table - 1:1 - list - 1:1 - form - 1:n - groups
group - 1:m - elements

list is representing (think of a view) a DB table
form is representing one table record
elements are representing DB table columns
groups are a means of grouping/displaying the elements in Fabrik

To get tabs is simple:
create a list (this will create a form + one group with the same name)
create additional groups belonging to the form
create elements assigned to the groups
select "bootstrap-tabs" as "Template" and "Details view" in form's "Layout" settings and every group will get it's own tab in form view and details view (you may have to update from GitHub to get the bootstrap-tabs template)
I don't know if you understand that those tabs (using different tables) should react as one. It is an application form, divided in sectors like "Address", "Jobs", "Language skills" and so on. Although there are different tables, the form must be filled in completely. I have to choose different tables as the whole form will have about 400 fields. Thats why I was as well asking this (unanswered) question:
http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?threads/validate-input-data-on-each-site-save-on-last.36899/

But I'm not sure what you are trying to do and what you think Fabrik is doing:
What I am trying to do should be possible to be done in 30 minutes. I was giving Fabrik a try and signed up for a plan. It's a basic form for applying for a job, with repeating fields on some parts. It should be easy to achieve, everything out of the box, nothing heat up. What I am expecting from Fabrik? Actually nothing, I am expecting something from Fabrikar. I am expecting that they honor what they advertise:

Subscribe and get

• Dedicated support
  • Concise and clear documentation
  • Video tutorials

the priciple is (ignoring things like joined lists or repeated groups for the moment)
database table - 1:1 - list - 1:1 - form - 1:n - groups
group - 1:m - elements
Thanks for your kind explanation, that was easy for me to understand :confused: ! No, really, I am not am math teacher and that is why I asked for updated tutorials. Please explain the variables "n" and "m" and what they mean to you. Yes, I do need a drawing, thats why I am asking and thats why I feel so lost.
I will have to use repeating forms and I will use databasejoin. Will I have to knock walls down for doing this or... ah, yes I am repeating myself... are there up to date tutorials about this?

list is representing (think of a view) a DB table
As I do see the tables getting created at the databse, this point is easy to understand.
form is representing one table record
This would mean, as I do understand the definition "record", that there should be at the forms level, all the records like "ID", "date_time" etc. This is not the case. At the level "forms" I do have automatically a mirror of the "Lists" tables. So, apparently I do not understand how it works.
elements are representing DB table columns
This is clear to me, as I do see all the elements represented at db level.
groups are a means of grouping/displaying the elements in Fabrik
...and here it would get VERY interesting!
- How do I group the different forms?
- How would I group two different groups?
- How do they link together or not?
- How do I link the menupoint to this group (and not only to one form)?

I really think Fabrik is a very versatile peace of code and could really do a a lot of cool stuff... but the learning curve is, because of the laking, incomplete and outdated tuts veeeery steam. HOW should a new-by NOT getting completely frustrated with those utterly outdated tutorials?
If one is not a database expert already or just to dumb to understand it from some bits an pieces found at the forum, it is incredibly difficult to get a grip on.

I am sure that I am willing to learn. I don't want the fish, I am looking for the fishing rod.

I would like to thank you, troester, for your patience!

As a lot of the issue here seems to be us understanding what it is you need to do, and as it can be done in 30 minutes on Breezing Forms, my best suggestion is you spend that 30 minutes, build it in Breezing Forms, then we will all have a working functional prototype to see, rather than spending hours going backwards and forwards trying to explain / undrstand the requirements.

-- hugh

hugh, I edited this part and I am actually quite puzzled about your answer.
Is this the way Fabrikar sees it's clients, even if they are trying to learn and be precise about their problem? Don't get me wrong but I am unsure about your comment being a nice way saying "go away and let us, the experts, play"?

I think the issue is we don't understand what you need. I've read this thread and to me Troesters answer is pretty much what I would reply to your question. However if that's not the case Hugh was simply suggesting a different route for you to express your requirements to us. That could have been replaced with a phrase like 'draw us a picture of what you need' - remeber what is obvious to you and obvious to us is often not an obvious thing to communicate in words.

- How do I group the different forms?
I don't know what you mean here. A form can have multiple groups, a group does not contain forms. If you mean "how can I have multiple forms on the same page" - then you could achieve that only by using the content plugin and or modules.
- How would I group two different groups?
Again what do you mean? You can't have a group containing another group, there is no way to have infinite levels of groups within a form
- How do they link together or not?
Depends. If your groups are created by making joins in the list, then they are linked together via the main groups id element and the foregin key elements in the join groups. If they are simply two groups attached to the form then there is no relationship between them, the groups are in this instance simply there to break up the fields into fieldsets.

- How do I link the menupoint to this group (and not only to one form)?
What is a menu point? Do you mean a menu item? I have a feeling that you are perhaps misusing the word "group" which has a very specific meaning in Fabrik, and hence causing us a lot of confusion when we try to communicate in this thread. There is no structure in place in Fabrik to show one page with multiple forms, see my above comment about how you might get round that.

Maybe I can help

If you have created
  1. Separate tables which creates it's own groups and forms
  2. Added your elements to the groups
But if you want groups from different forms to appear on your form you want to use do the following
  1. Unattach the groups from their respective forms
  2. Go into the form you want to use and add the groups you want to appear within that form
  3. If you want to link to a group create a form with just that group in
Screencast

Hope that makes sense and helps?

See the previous replies. Like Rob, Troester and Mark, I'm just confused as to what you need to do. I'm simply suggesting a way you can show us what you need. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. And a working prototype is worth a lot more than that. So if you can build something quickly which shows us what you are talking about, that will be quicker and easier than going backwards and forwards with questions.

Yes, you have valid points about tutorials, etc. We really are working hard to get more tutorials done, improve the wiki, etc. But it's slow going, as we are having to do a lot of coding work to keep up with changes in J! 3.x, and get a stable release out.

I'm sorry you are frustrated. But you have four of us here trying to help, and we just need to clearly understand what you are trying to achieve.

-- hugh

Thanks to all for coming back on this matter!

In my first post, I mentioned the test-site
(http://ma24-1.mcm-swiss.net/index.php?option=com_fabrik&view=form&formid=9&Itemid=516&lang=de)
which actually shows, what I would like to achieve. A grouping of tabs where each tab represent it's own table in the local database but react as one form, i.e. the user must fill out all mandatory fields before saving it.

It's probably so simple for you guys, that you are searching much too far away. Let me explain it here: http://awesomescreenshot.com/01423ctx18

As you see I was able to produce a result at the test-site, but I did it the wrong way!
See: http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?threads/bug-or-feature-cloning-ids-at-groups.36947/#post-185564
to understand what I did. Knowing how to do it the wrong way is a nice start... but I really would like to learn how to do it the correct way as well ;)

Lazysheepmedia, Mark, you probably are the only one who got me right, basic instructions for a noob. I will try to replicate what you said and give feedback.

Again, thanks for feedback!

Hi XXX-BIT

Thanks for coming back to us - I'm pleased that I have been able to help you but Rob, Hugh and Troester and others are the guys that can really dig you into using Fabrik. It is a very complex application builder and once you understand the make up of how it works you will never use another form builder again. In fact Fabrik is not a form builder it builds complex and impressive website applications. To help you understand the terminology a bit let me try to break it down for you

Lets assume you have a table in your database called fabrik_test. The process that you could take is as follows
  1. Create a "list" linking it to your fabrik_test table
  2. This in turn will create a, form and group called fabrik_test or similar
  3. In the fabrik_test group you will have 2 elements, id and date_time
Now lets create a "list" to another table in your database called fabrik_test_2
  1. Create a "list" linking it to your fabrik_test_2 table
  2. This in turn will create a, form and group called fabrik_test_2 or similar
  3. In the fabrik_test_2 group you will have 2 elements, id and date_time
You can make as many lists as you want either connecting to an existing table in your database or creating a new table in the database when you create your list (its in the options but see this tutorial for an explanation

So now you have your lists you can go to each form and add or takeaway groups as you want - HINT: Only groups that are not allocated to a form can be added to another form

So now to your scenario

Once you have set up all your lists, with your groups and with your elements added to the relevant groups, do the following
  1. Go into each form and remove all the groups as in this example
  2. Create a list with a name which your users will use (Example Registration)
  3. Go into the form registration and remove the group created and add the groups you want to display in the form - Example
Once you have created the form with your groups, all you have to do then is to create a menu link to link to your form

Hope that helps

Whilst what Lazysheep says is fine, it will I think mean that all your data is stored in one database table, which I think is what XXX-Bit wants to avoid?

Idea 1:
-----------------
(This idea is OK, but means you have each form submitted as a single form.......)
I suggest installing the no-number tabs content plugin http://www.nonumber.nl/extensions/tabs
If not installed, install and publish the Fabrik content plugin

Then create a Joomla article with the following text:

Code:
{tab Tab Title 1}
{fabrik view=form id=1}
{tab Tab Title 2}
{fabrik view=form id=2}
{/tabs}

Idea 2:
--------------------
(This is more complex but each tab's data will be saved to a separate db table)
Say you create your 3 forms, say they're called page1, page2, and page3.
Each form, as well as which ever elements you need, should also contain a field element set to be hidden called 'master_id'

You then create a list called 'master', this creates the date_time and more importantly the id element.
Save the list and re-edit it.
Go to the data tab.
select joins
press add:

join: left
from 'master'
to 'page1'
from column: 'id'
to column: 'master_id'
repeatable: no

press add again and repeat for 2 other pages, e.g for page2:

join: left