Joomla migrate from 1.0.15 to 1.5 ?

I am most likely migrating my Joomla site from 1.0.15 to 1.5. With that said will all of my Fabrik 1.0.5 forms cross right over with no problem? Will i need to upgrade to 2.0 after?

Thanks,
Brandon

Ah. You won't like the answer.

Fabrik 1.0.x does not run on J! 1.5, and as yet we don't have a migration utility for Fabrik 1.0.x to 2.0.

Which means you pretty much have to rebuild it, I'm afraid. You can "import" your old data tables by creating a new Fabrik table and selecting the old data table, but you'll have to set up your grouping and element types, validations, etc again.

We hope to get a migration utility built when 2.0 is released, but we can't give an ETA for that.

-- hug

Ah. You won't like the answer.

Fabrik 1.0.x does not run on J! 1.5, and as yet we don't have a migration utility for Fabrik 1.0.x to 2.0.

Which means you pretty much have to rebuild it, I'm afraid. You can "import" your old data tables by creating a new Fabrik table and selecting the old data table, but you'll have to set up your grouping and element types, validations, etc again.

We hope to get a migration utility built when 2.0 is released, but we can't give an ETA for that.

-- hug

Hmmm I thought 2.0 was released? Anyhow I am not in a super hurry I guess. Can you give an ETA of like probably by June or July?

Also I just did the migration from 1.0.15 to 1.5 on a test site. Everything from the .sql file transferred right over except the fabrik table files were not there. I guess that is what you mean by rebuilding them. I guess i would make the elements exactly the same then I would have to import the old excel file into the new table? Wasn't exactly sure how you meant to do that...

Thanks,

Go to the Tables tab in the backend.

Make a new Fabrik table.

Select one of your old jos_fabrik_formdata_X files as the table to use under the Data tab. The rest of the table settings should be more or less familiar.

When you save your new table, it will automatically create a new from, group and set of elements. Before doing anything else, edit the table again and make sure it has selected the old fabrik_internal_id as the PK, with auto-inc enabled.

Now you'll have to go through and rebuild your old group structure, and set up your element types again.

A pain, I know. And no, no ETA on 2.0 release ... we're in RC2, RC3 should be out in a week or two. How many more RC phases we'll need before release is unknown. It'll prolly run to RC4 or RC5. But hopefully each phase should be shorter and shorter.

Once released, a 1.0 to 2.0 migration utility will be high on our list, but not necessarily top of the list.
-- hugh

To be honest I think it would be one of the last tasks when 2.0 is nearing release or once it is release.

As new features, bug fixes, plugins etc are being developed all the time it would be a continuous process updating the migration code.

From a non programmers point of view I think it would make more sense to develop the migration code once everything else to running stable and 2.0 is release.

How many Fabrik tables do you have and how complex is the data?

I have 7 tables, 14 forms, 14 groups and 122 elements.

I'm sure it would be possible to migrate everything over manually but it seems like an extremely daunting task--particularly in light of the amount of time I've put into building the setup in the first place.

I admit that would be quite daunting!!! But challenging!! :)

What restrictions do you have for sticking with Joomla 1.0.15 for now?

The only thing I could think you could do, but isn't going to be straight forward, is to run x 2 Joomla installations. i.e one at 1.0.15 and the other at 1.5. There are single login Joomla plugins available to link the two together. So the Fabrik tables could run 1.0.15 and the rest of your site 1.5. If Fabrik is a major component of your site though then it's not worth the hassle.

Sorry I don't have anything positive on this.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back