Mysql 5.7

I haven't tried 5.7 yet. I'm looking forward to it becoming widely used, as it has support for JSON.

So my answer would be, I don't know ... but it would be cool if you could try it and let me know if you run into any problems.

I would hope it'd be OK, as we really don't do anything "out of the ordinary" in our queries, and haven't ever had to make any significant changes to our code to accommodate new MySQL versions. The nature of coding for something like Joomla, where the minimum requirement for MySQL is 5.1, means we have to be somewhat conservative in our approach.

-- hugh

I tried it on 'aurora' (AWS's supposedly 100% mysql compatible, 'up to 5x faster' db) and i got an error in how table names needed to be defined on a where clause on a databasejoin. i didn't notice any obvious performance gains but didn't do any scientific testing.

for example, this on the where data-where tab (to filter a databasejoin element that joins to jos_users.id):
WHERE {thistable}.id in (SELECT m.user_id FROM jos_user_usergroup_map m WHERE group_id = 11)
created an error:
Error: 500
Fabrik has generated an incorrect query for the list Properties:

Unknown column '#__users_0.name' in 'field list'

i tried:
WHERE .id in (SELECT m.user_id FROM jos_user_usergroup_map m WHERE group_id = 11)
and
WHERE jos_users.id in (SELECT m.user_id FROM jos_user_usergroup_map m WHERE group_id = 11)

THEN, i tried mysql 5.7 and got the same error. again, no scientific testing, but the admin panel and site seemed to be noticeably faster.

NOTE: last week one day, the WHERE i had been using above for years stopped working with this same error above. i had to change WHERE jos_users.id to WHERE {thistable}.id for it to work.

Never did figure that out, i suspect a fabrik update may have caused it to start working differently. but i can't get any of these options to work on MySql 5.7.

i moved back to 5.6 and the error went away.

but looks like there is something about mysql 5.7 and aurora that is different there.

posting for info if anyone is interested: this is is only slightly scientific, but it doesn't look like 5.7 or aurora is any faster (and in fact are slightly slower). than 5.6.

these are pageload time as measured on developer tools on chrome when running on each db. NOTE that i have tuning parameters on 5.6, but am using the default tuning on 5.7 and aurora, so not a fair test if my tuning parameters are better than their defaults.

summary, 5.6 was slightly faster on almost all tests.

so no need to migrate that i can see... experiment over. you can check into the bugs above if you like, but there is no urgency for me since i'm staying on 5.6 for now.

Attachments

• db benchmark.JPG
    db benchmark.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 33
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back