Possible to change the form that a group is assigned to?

jbyrley

Hi,

I have a ton of elements that I need to move over to a new form (I ran out of room in the form I was using, so I decided to split up my project into several different forms).

Is it possible to change the form that a group is assigned to (like in the Edit Group section)? Or do I need to create brand new groups, transfer over the elements, and delete the old groups?

Thanks!

John

We don't have a way to move a group between forms. That's why the "Form" option is disabled in the Group settings once it's been created.

So yes, create your new group, then you can use the checkbox select and "Copy" in the main elements screen, which will ask you which form and group you want to copy to. Then delete the originals.

NOTE - this will not copy any content of existing data. You'll have to handle that yourself if you have existing data. Before deleting the originals.

I'd also suggest backing your database up before doing any refactoring. Our code is pretty solid, but there's always a chance something can go wrong, and this is the kind of operation that can screw things up badly if it does go wrong. Or if there is pilot error, and you delete the wrong thing, etc.

-- hugh

Awesome, thanks!

I'd like to be able to export the groups-t0-be-transferred from the "groups" table, change whatever field associates them with a particular form, and then re-import them back in, but I can't figure out how the heck a group is associated with a form. I'll keep looking...if that doesn't work, I'll just do it all again manually.

We don't have a way to move a group between forms.
I think you have, not in group settings but in form settings "Groups".
You can "Remove" a group from a form, then it will be available for "Adding" to other forms.

But as Hugh said: back up your database before doing any refactoring.

DON'T remove/add any groups created by Fabrik while adding joins to lists
DON'T remove/add any groups containing id elements
I don't know what will happen if the list (form) you are adding a group to already has elements with the same names.
So be careful...

Hmm, that might a bit more straightforward. I'll try that first. As you said I will definitely back up everything first. Thanks.

I know there were "reasons" we made it impossible to do on the group settings, some deep seated nastiness in the guts of Fabrik. And tbh, I have no idea if the same problems affect doing it the way Troester suggests. I just know that personally, I do it by copying elements into a new group, probably because I'm aware of how brittle that code is under the hood if you change the form a group is on. I just can't remember the exact details, it was a while ago.

So yeah. Back up.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back