recommended update process

skyrun

what is the suggested update process?
i update from git on my linux server using wget.
but i still have many (dozens) of updates listed on my joomla admin to process.

what is the recommended update process? git? update from joomla? are the two compatible? (ie if i update using git, do i still have to process all those joomla updates?

i tried 'discover' after updating on git, and it didn't find any fabrik updates there either.

is the get update from tarball/master version 3.5 now? if it were, would the updates on my joomla admin go away? would be good to understand this a little better so i can not mess things up.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of a crisis with the 3.5 installer atm, so I've shut down the update service until that's resolved.

I'll respond when I've put this fire out.

-- hugh

no problem. glad you got it fixed. you can respond when you are back online again and have time. thanks for all you do.

hugh, can i get a response to this?

summary: i am updating on git. i also have dozens of 'updates' listed as needing to be applied on joomlas update. should i apply them (if nothing else to get rid of pages of updates?)

i have tried to 'discover' thinking that would tell joomla i'm using 3.5 already, but nothing is 'discovered'.

A release is really just a snapshot of github, packaged up as an installable ZIP.

The only thing that happens during a J! install / update that doesn't happen when you do a github update is any database changes that may be part of that update. However, we very rarely do any database updates, and typically make it clear in the release announcement if there are any.

However, what we usually recommend when there is a new release is to run all the updates, in case there are any database modifications. Then apply a github update as and when there are fixes you need that post-date the release.

This will also remove the entries from the J! updates list.

--hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back