Table Prefilter begins with range

jsnider

I am trying to set up a pre-filter on a table, that uses the begins with criteria, that has a range. So basically, in my particular instance, records where the project field begins with A through D. I can do it for a particular letter, but can't figure out how to get that range in there.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!

Don't think you can do that with our built in filters, we don't have a "BETWEEN" feature. I thought in MySQL you could cheat and do straight up compares on strings like "WHERE foo > 'A' AND foo < 'E", in which case you could have just used to filters joined with AND, but I tested and that doesn't seem to work.

So you'd have to do a subquery, like ...

WHERE
Field: id
Condition: IN
Value: SELECT id FROM your_table WHERE LEFT(project, 1) BETWEEN 'A' and 'D'
Type: query

If it can be lower or upper case, do

Value: SELECT id FROM your_table WHERE LOWER(LEFT(project, 1)) BETWEEN 'a' and 'a'

This is kind of a kludge, as subqueries can be an expensive way of filtering, and I don't think indexes will get used once you do a LEFT(...), although I'm not sure about that. But as long as you don't have a gazillion rows you should be OK.

-- hugh

Actually, I just tested again, as I was sure it should work, and two filters joined with AND should work.

So one with company > A, and one with company < E, using AND to join. Note that it's < E, not D. Type "text", not query.

Haven't tested this actually in Fabrik, just by hand with a query on a test table.

-- hugh

Nice! The second one did it! Here is screen shot for future reference for everyone! That is super simple. I figured there must be a way, but I just didn't know the right syntax. Thanks again so much!

Attachments

• chart v004.jpg
    chart v004.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 46
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back