Unable to login

Good morning

I have created a form to add users using the JUser plugin on the form and it was working great. Now this morning I have tried to login as both a test user I have setup and as an admin and I am unable to login as either.

Can someone please let me know what I have done to lock myself out of the site?

Thanks

Mark

With the standard Joomla login (module or menu item)?
Can you log in in the backend?

thanks for comign back to me Troester

Its with the joomla login menu item and I am unable to login to the front or backend

Regards

Mark

Oh, this sounds bad.
Which error(s) do you get?

Do you have access to your DB directly?
How is #__users looking?
Are the users still there? Check block column (must be 0), passwords are looking ok?

#__user_usergroup_map
Are there entries for your user?

Thanks Troester

I ahve checked the users and the group tables they all look ok. None blocked.

I have even created a new admin user (with necessary password encryption) and still no luck :(

Is there a way to disable the juser plugin or some other way to get me into the admin?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Mark

Yup, that's what I suspected (jUser does nothing during login time)

Did you check #__user_usergroup_map if there are any entries for you user and if yes, if they have still the correct groups assigned?
Usually group id 8 is superuser (you can check in #_usergroups), so there must be an entry user_id = your-Superad-id, group_id=8

Or did you change the "secret" param in configuration.php? In this case all passwords will became invalid (I think) (not related to jUser at all).

Thanks Troester

No the secret parameter has not been changed by me and the groups are all correct and mapped correctly

Looks Like I'll have to start over

Thanks for your help

Regards

Mark

Hi Troester

I found the issue!

I had set the password length to 15 and it changed the passwords!!

I've set it back to 100, changed my password through phpmyadmin and now I can login!!

Sorry to have bothered you but at least we now know the reason :)

Regards

Mark

I had set the password length to 15 and it changed the passwords!!
Where, in Joomla config? This will change existing passwords (without editing/resaving the user)?

No it was in the password field when i set the registration page up in Fabrik. see attached screenshot

Regards

Mark

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 133
I don't see how changing that length could possibly affect existing passwords. It's only used in one place, when building the input fields for the password widget.

-- hugh

I have no idea Hugh, all i know is that when I changed it to 100 it allowed me to set the password in the database and i was able to login again?

Regards

Mark

I can see how changing it to 15 might screw something up if you then edited a form and saved it, with a password which was longer than 15, but I simply don't see how changing that maxlength in a password element would affect existing passwords in J!.

Out of interest, is your form built on the #__users table, or your own "profile" table?

If it is built on the J! table, do you have "alter existing fields" set to "NO, NOT EVER, REALLY, I MEAN IT, DON"T TOUCH THE TABLE FIELDS!" (or whatever it is) in the List settings?

I'm 99.99999999783564% sure we don't use that password maxlength in any way to do with setting VARCHAR length in the table (and I've looked at the code), but it's about the only possible thing I can think of.

-- hugh

Sorry Hugh I meant I changed it in the DB to 100 characters - when i set the element up I used 15 as the length so it must just have changed the passwords?

I have tried both #_users and my own table created from the list and use my own now

Regards

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, yes, I just tested.
If you set "Field length" to 15 in the password element it will also change the DB column to varchar(15) which will break all existing and new passwords because they are stored encrypted and so need a lot more characters.

It's asking the usual "update field structure... from varchar(255) to varchar(15)" ... if you are happy press "Save"
but I think it's a bug to set column varchar = input width in this case

Field length shouldn't be 255 at all as default (you can't store a 255 password encrypted in varchar(255))

Yes i thought it was the password length not the encrypted length - you live and learn but thanks for your help [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back