understanding multiple forms lists on the same data

Hello,

I have just subscribed for standard support 1 month, especially because I like what I have seen with fabrik so far.

There is one thing I don't quiet understand yet.

When I create ELEMENTS, this will create database fields in a table that belongs to a GROUP. A LIST and FORM are based on the same ELEMENTS.

GROUP-A
- LIST-A + ELEMENTS-A
- FORM-A + ELEMENTS-A

What if I want to create a different LIST or FORM on the same ELEMENTS-A. I might want to change LIST view or have a special FORM for the same ELEMENTS-A.

GROUP-B
- LIST-B + ELEMENTS-A
- FORM-B + ELEMENTS-A

Currently I can't create another GROUP without adding new ELEMENTS that would make up a new database table with new fields.

Example:

I have a GROUP-A with table "sc_user". My FORM-A will be a registration FORM-A. Now I want to create another FORM-B where a logged in user can edit his user profile details that are stored in table "sc_user".

So far my custom registration FORM-A works fine. I have even implemented a select for specific user groups. Now I am thinking about the edit form, that might have different settings. A module will not allow to fine tune my FORM-B.

Just found this topic from 2009...will test some more...meanwhile I would be happy to get a short best practice on this topic.

Last edited:
I might have figured out how it works...I will post a short solution for other users looking into this as soon as I have a stable workflow.

Just use the Copy button on the List admin page.

Copying a list creates a new set of list/form/group(s)/elements, but based on the same underlying table.

Then you can configure the second copy independently of the first.

All the elements in the copy will initially be "linked" to the set you copied them from, and inherit the "parent" settings. So you can have multiple copies of a list, and all the copied elements will inherit any changes you make to the parent elements. If you want to change a copy of an element, when you edit it, Fabrik will ask if you want to "unlink" it. Once you have unlinked a copied element, it will no longer inherit settings from it's parent, and can be configured independently.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back