user element not displaying the username in a list

wqwi853

I want to simply have the username of the user who entered a record to display in a list. No matter what I set the element to, it stays hidden in the detail view. If I make it visible in the list view, it only shows the J! user ID and not their username. It's also only storeing the J! user ID in the database and not the respective username even though the element has been set to show the username.

Is there any reason why this is happening? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong or there's something I'm missing?

Are you sure you want a user element? This is used to create a user when the record is stored. If all you want is the record to be linked to the user in the #__users table then use a dbjoin element and point it to the #__users table. Then set it to display the name.

All I want is the username of the user who created the record to be displayed on the detailed view of a list. This way we know who was responsible for creating the record.

All I want is the username of the user who created the record to be displayed on the detailed view of a list. This way we know who was responsible for creating the record.
The the dbjoin would likely make more sense.

Then it should definitely show whatever you selected as the "User Data".

It's also only storeing the J! user ID in the database and not the respective username even though the element has been set to show the username.

Correct. It tells you that in the tooltip for the User Data:

"Note: the user's ID is always stored in the database table."

The only case where it won't show the selected User Data is if the table for your List/Form is on a different database connection, as we don't do cross-database joins. And the user element is just a special case of a join element.

From your description, with it only showing the ID, and being hidden in details view, the code thinks that your Fabrik table is on a different connection to J!.

Can you check your Fabrik connections tab, edit the 'site database' connection, and make sure it is indeed your J! database?

Have you moved your site recently, like taking an Akeeba backup and installing it on another server?

-- hugh

The only case where it won't show the selected User Data is if the table for your List/Form is on a different database connection, as we don't do cross-database joins. And the user element is just a special case of a join element.
Good to know!

Wow... Thanks @cheesegrits you were on the money. I haven't migrated to a new server or anything but for some reason Fabrik thought I wasn't using the original Joomla database. I went into the connection tabs and had both a green box telling me it was the original database and a red box telling me it wasn't and that it filled in the information for me and to hit save. I re-entered my mysql password and now I have my desired result. Usernames show the way I originally intended.

Thanks a bunch.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back