user manual for plugins?

farbod

Wondering if there is a user manual anywhere for plugins (especially the calc plugin).

I just downloaded it about an hour ago and can't seem to figure out how to use it. It installed fine, but the calc section in the "table settings" tab hasn't changed.

I've seen multiple threads about the calculation string to use to get the desired result, but none of them say where that string goes or how to interface with the module.

your help is appreciated.

hi we dont have any docs done for the calc plugin yet.
The calc plug-in is an element plug-in, to access it you go to components->fabrik->elements and press new
then select "fabrik calc" from the plugin list
The string goes in the element's "Calculation" field, the label's hover text gives a good introduction as to how to use the element.

Ok that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the response.

Let me give you some background, because I'm sure to have more questions. I've been put in charge of a project that at first seemed beyond my basic web skills. However, I think Fabrik has all the capabilities I need to make it work. Please take a look at the description of the features that I need and let me know whether you think they're feasible.

My website is www.smuboa.com. You can log in with username 12345678 and password "tester". It is for a law school group that does competitions (such as mock trial, negotiations, arbitration, etc.) both within our own school and against other schools. We have a points system for how well individuals perform throughout their law school careers.

In the past, people would email their competition performance to the "Membership Director" who would manually assign points and enter them into a MS access database. This made it virtually impossible for people to check their points in real time, and errors in entry were commonplace. Obviously this was an inefficient system.

My thought was to create a webform for people to enter their competition results. This would record their results in a database and give users the ability to check their points whenever they wanted. Here are the features that I would need to implement:

1. Webform that gives users the ability to input competitions. Because the competitions are so different, the form has to be dynamic (cascading drop-downs perhaps).
  2. Multiple types of points: 2 main types - competition and administrative. The latter is broken down into two subtypes: service and participation. (e.g. if I had 2 service points and 1 participation point, I would have a total of three administrative points)
  3. Competition points categories - for example, being a team member gives you 5 points automatically, each tournament advancement is 2 points, winning is 4 points, etc. Would need multiple selections.
  4. Points caps - for example, someone can only have 5 participation points throughout their law school career. Also, each competition has a cap.
  5. email confirmation receipt - not crucial since people will be able to check their results.
  6. administrator approval - when someone enters points, an administrator would have to approve them before they were calculated into the total.
  7. Points report - shows people how many points they've earned at all their competitions. Sums up to points earned per competition and also gives a grand total for each category: participation, service, competition. The report would have to be printable.
  8. User titles - gives titles based on required minimum levels of points
  9. Automatic email on change of title - email reminder when a user's title changes.
  10. Certificates - this is low on the priority list, but we would like the ability to create a template that looks like a certificate, and print one out for people who have reached a certain level of points.

should all be possible - your obviously covering a lot of ground here - I'd take it a step at a time and post with any specific questions you have in the forum

Good luck
Cheers
Rob

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back