Using external database with "SELECT-only"-rights

manne-hoffmann

Hello there at fabrik,
I am currently testing the ability to connect to external databases with Fabrik, which works fine!

The problem arises from the fact, that our use-case only allows "Read-ONLY"-access to the external database.
We only want to use it to display / search / sort /filter / data without the need to add / edit or delete any data.

While I can edit elements from the external table in order to allow sorting / change label / etc. I cannot change several settings for the list. This ends in an error "ALTER command denied to user 'XXX'@'YYY' for table 'ZZZ'

Is there any way to get around this problem?

Looking forward to your answers,
Manfred.

Is your J! connection on the external database, ie. all your J! internal tables, and the Fabrik metadata tables?

-- hugh

Hi Hugh,
I have the site-database which holds all the J! and Fabrik-tables, and I added a second connection to use my "external" database. (See attached screenshot)

Both databases reside on the same server, I am just using different accounts to access them.
The account joomla for the database of the same name has full access to that db (J! + Fabrik)
The account reflex for the external database has only SELECT-rights for that db and all its tables.

Do you need more information?

Thanks,
Manfred

Attachments

• Fabrik-Connections.jpg
    Fabrik-Connections.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 29
OK.

What are you trying to do in the list settings when you get the error?

There's a number of places where we use "ALTER TABLE" when you set/change settings in a list. For example, when grouping or ordering a list, we add an index on the element(s) involved.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back