Graphical radius search.... possible ?

lcollong

FabriKant d'applications web
Hi Rob, Hugh,

The radius search plugin is a nice feature but not very "user friendly" compare to the users experiences on tablet, smartphones and others iPad...

How would it be possible to implement a graphical radius search as this one http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm on the GMap fabrik's wiz ? Or may be it's already there and I missed it ? I don't think the recent radius fields added on the wiz itself is usable for this purpose.

The user experience could be :

• click on map menu item
  • the gmap viz is loaded without any icons but with a circle drawn which could be drag by the user as well as click on the edge to change the radius (see snapshot).
  • When it is satisfied with his find area, he'll click on a "go" button and the icons which are in the perimeters are displayed on the map

Of course it would be even nicer to have some realtime data such as the number of objects found displayed somewhere as the user drag the circle or change its radius.

Would such a plugin doable ? I'm ok to financially contribute a way or another to such feature which, I think, could interest a lot of Gmap viz fabrik's users.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 368
Not a urgent post of course, but I'd like to have your opinion on this matter....

I've actually thought about this, and did have a grief look at what would be involved in replacing the "radius" slider in the existing radius plugin with the "distance widget" I use in the map element.

Rob and I also agreed that having a "Go" button inside the existing radius filter would be a better "UI experience" than clicking on the main filter button.

I think what I'll probably do for now is go ahead and implement the radius widget within the existing radius table filter, now that we've sorted out some of the nasty map related issues that were making life difficult with that plugin. Then start looking at how it might be further improved.

-- hugh

Sounds good. I'll be happy to contribute (financialy, as my technical skills are not sharp enough to help). As a start point, I'll upgrade my contrib to the silver one next week.

Keep me inform.

OK, sounds fair. Its not something I'll be jumping in to this weekend, as I have some other stuff higher up the priority list. So you'll probably have to bump a few times to keep it on my radar.

But it's definitely something Rob and I want to do.

-- hugh

We'll count that as "first of a few".

It's Monday. Monday is always "catchup hell" from the weekend on the forums.

It'll be Tue or Wed before I have time to work on new stuff.

But I haven't forgotten, and am devoting some thought to how best to do it.

-- hugh

Hi Hugh,

How "hell" is the post week-end forum load ? ;-)
This post just to keep it on your radar....

Again, it's something I want to do, but with Rob focused pretty much 100% on 3.1, I'm pretty much in "supporting what we've got" mode on 3.0, trying not to add much by way of features that will complicate his life getting them merged in to 3.1.

I'll have a quick look at this now, as I'm in the mood for doing something fun, coding wise, but if it looks like being too much of an issue with getting it merged into 3.1 (which depends on several factors), I may just have to punt this one to 3.1.

-- hugh

I'll setup a J3/F3.1 test server this week in order to evaluate how reliable could be a brand new approach on this basis. Otherwise I'll upgrade the existing site from J1.5/F2 to J2.5/F3. So it's still a week or two before I'll decide to go to J3 or to keep on J2.5... I hope you'll find some time to test and check if it could be integrated in F3 or F3.1. Bon courage !

Rob and I also agreed that having a "Go" button inside the existing radius filter would be a better "UI experience" than clicking on the main filter button.
I just added that now to 3.0 - it will appear in 3.1 when I next merge the two code bases.

Hi,

I've just finished to upgrade and now I'm setting back existing functions and trying to setup some new ones. I can't make (the new) radius search working on a Gmap viz. It's working nicely on the list template (see capture2) but the triggering button is missing on the viz (see capture 1). I've updated from yesterday github and try several filter options on the underlying list setup but can't get make it working.

I guess it's relating to the wiz template ? Any suggestions where I could take a look ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 317
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 348
Sorry I've spent about 4 hours looking at this today, the issue is that list plugins are not really designed to be used in conjunction with visulaizations, so I've been hacking away but it simply isn't going to be feasable to implement i think

Thanks for searching a way to sort it out. May be THE solution would be in my initial post suggestion ?... (post title). ;-)

Meanwhile, I could setup a radius search from a list view. Is there any reasonable way to create a link from such a list view to the GmapViz with an URL including "rowid" to display one row on the map ?

Ideally we could have something like index.php?option=com_fabrik&view=visualization&id=1&rowid=456&radius=30&Itemid=25 which could display the GmapViz showing the rows given by the center=rowid and the specified radius.....

ah ok - well I finally got the radius search working with the map viz. Whilst I've not tried it you could try using its prefilter option to limit the map markers around the current users location?

Great ! Now the button shows up and it triggers the popup which seems to work. However the results are unconsistant compare to the list view result. Whatever I use geocode, element, or coordinates, it filters some rows but nothing to see with actual coordinates...

works ok for me. Not sure what would be the cause of it producing odd results. I'd either expect it to work or not work. Do you have any other filter on the page/menu item etc that might be skewing the results are you seeing?

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back