Demo server

I would like to see an example of building a form to search and display club member information to other club members.

hi standib,

perhaps you could see:

http://demo.fabrikar.com/index.php/employees-departments

it is an example of employees and the departments they belong to but i think could be closely related to what you are after.

i'm not sure how much information you require, but you would basically just need a form with the required fields, and then a list that displayed the records of the form submissions. it is also possible to add a filter to the top of the list.

Good start on the demos! They show a small sample of what can be done.

For developers using Fabrik, how it is done is more important. To acheive the how, providing access to the demo DB or a dump of the relevant rows of the tables would go a long way to the how.

I don't think I will live long enough to learn Fabrik by trial and error and the other aids just don't go far enough in explaining why one option is chosen over another.

If other Fabrik developers who have been successful in developing applications using Fabrik would make some of their solutions available, it would reduce the number of problems reported on the forum.

I look forward to doing my part, after I leap this learning hurdle.

I'm also keeping an eye on the demo site, waiting for newer examples, so I can refer it to others interested in this extension as well. :)

Sharing

I don't think I will live long enough to learn Fabrik by trial and error and the other aids just don't go far enough in explaining why one option is chosen over another.

If other Fabrik developers who have been successful in developing applications using Fabrik would make some of their solutions available, it would reduce the number of problems reported on the forum.

As a Fabrik developer for 4 years, the problems with sharing information/knowledge are many.

Mainly, the underlying technology has changed dramatically in the past 4 years - with javascript becoming much more powerful and important, security clamp downs, and AJAX - client / server versus server / client. MySQLi, PDO, etc.

It's been very difficult to post examples / tools / utilities because of the database structure, the ever-changing atmosphere in which Fabrik exists - versions ... Joomla, Mootools, and Fabrik versions. We have browser version issues as well.

As a developer, I'm 11 deep - Browser, ISP/Web Host, TCP/IP, UNIX, Apache, Joomla, MySQL, PHP, Fabrik, Javascript, Mootools / MochaUI / ExtJS.

It almost takes a team of developers to keep up with web technology today. It's extremely difficult for one person.

Many of us don't have time to organize / finish / document plugins, add-ons, or fixes.

It can take 8 hours to debug a single problem in this technology stack... there is simply no time to share.

This is just my opinion.

That being said, I will probably be releasing some of my new templates to the public domain soon for Joomla 2.5/Fabrik 3.5.2. I just hope I have enough time to actually get it done.

Advise

1. If you are a web developer, keep a list of important / critical functionality and go through this list with each new version / patch.

2. Learn about tar and mysqldump for backups. You need to preserve permissions and exact data footprints.

3. Spend some time learning Firebug, the Firefox debugging tool.

4. Spend some time learning advanced PHP debugging.

5. Trial and error - spend time building test applications on a local server where you can test each plugin and functionality. A local server is much faster, and you can test more things.

6. Fabrik has become pretty huge. It's really difficult to keep up with. Building templates alone requires a PhD in focus.

Most of us long time developers have learned to fix problems ourselves. We are experts in debugging web applications. Then we learned to expand our applications / technology.

Just friendly advise.

Your not wrong and you've been lurking around the forums longer than I have. :)

Something is in the works though and will be release soon. These things do take time... and of course are being done for free.

Paid work has to take priority!

Haha

Your not wrong and you've been lurking around the forums longer than I have. :)

Something is in the works though and will be release soon. These things do take time... and of course are being done for free.

Paid work has to take priority!

I understand paid work, haha. Thanks Felixkat.

The learning curve is steep, but I think it's worth it over-all given the current state of affairs.

There is no other database driven web application framework that can compare with Joomla/Fabrik in my opinion.

Well... I've added ExtJS to my stack. Nothing can beat this combination. Literally nothing.

I've also got a MochaUI implementation, a Visual Basic implementation... JQuery... Database.js... (Me and/or Nathan Cook has implemented these technologies with Fabrik)

I think Fabrik is going to come out on top.

I would love to see a business directory like sobi2 created using fabrik 3. Then we could save it as a package and then improve on it as a community.

Features like:
- radius search
- google maps
- search.

cheers
Ed

I agree, it's my goal too with Fabrik !

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back